Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DataStick Problem...  (Read 3079 times)

jwfilion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

DataStick Problem...
    « on: September 11, 2011, 02:51:32 PM »
    Recently, I purchased a USB 16 Gig Centon DataStick Pro to transfer "stuff" between my two computers. One is XP Home, the other XP Pro. I have had no problems with most transfers, documents, music etc., up to 14.5 Gigs at a time, until I tried transferring more than 10 Gigs of a movie avi. I get an error message stating that the drive is full and that I need to erase files in order to make room. However, the DataStick was empty at the time. When I click on the properties tab, it says the "E" drive has 15.1 Gigs of free space! MediaInfo says the avi file is 10.1 gigs. There should be plenty of room!
    I once transferred four smaller avi's at one time, a total of 14 Gigs, but the larger avi, even by itself, will not. I have tried other large avi files, but they will not transfer into the drive either. None of  them were larger than 12 Gigs. It seems like 8 - 9 Gigs is the limit for an avi file. It does not matter which computer I try to use. Now, as this is my first stick, I can truthfully say that I'm not that familiar with them. I must point out that both the computer hard drives have NTFS file systems, but the DataStick is FAT 32. Could this be the problem, or did I buy a lemon? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Lumpy44

Beginner
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: DataStick Problem...
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 03:43:30 PM »
    Its the fat32 and NTFS difference i'm pretty sure. Fat32 can only transfer a file up to 2Gig i think. There is a tool that can transfer it to NTFS. Doing so will format your stick so make sure you whip it clean first.

Lumpy44

Beginner
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 03:48:27 PM »
    Yes I looked further into it. And its a 4gig file size limit with the FAT32 system. You make sense why you could transfer smaller file as they are likely under 4gig in size. This big file is too large for the FAT32 system.

jwfilion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 04:30:43 PM »
      Thanks Lumpy44 for your quick response. Could you let me know what the tool is called?

jwfilion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 05:46:30 PM »
        Darn, I'm getting good at this Google thing. I finally worded the search correctly and got the tool you mentioned and at the command prompt, typed in the convert E: fs/ntfs and now the stick loads the avi easy. Thanks again!

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 06:00:07 PM »
        Darn, I'm getting good at this Google thing. I finally worded the search correctly and got the tool you mentioned and at the command prompt, typed in the convert E: fs/ntfs and now the stick loads the avi easy. Thanks again!
        You mean convert e: /fs:ntfs

At command prompt type convert /?, which will give all options & useage. for any command.
        ? = help
        BTW, not caps sensitive.