Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP not detecting USB devices  (Read 3522 times)

JL2008

Topic Starter

Rookie

XP not detecting USB devices
    « on: September 11, 2011, 09:29:49 PM »
    Hi,

I have Panasonic CF-29 that I am trying to fix for my sister. There is no volume. XP does not recognize a sound card. I am not sure if the laptop has a sound card. I never opened up a laptop case. So I prefer not to open the case unless I have to. I bought an external sound card and XP doest recognize it. My PC recognized the sound card. I connected a USB mice and an IPod and XP didn't recognize it either. So there is a problem with USB port. According to ITunes, the previous owner connected their IPod 2 months ago. So the UBS port was working 2 months ago. Any ideas? Will an internal sound card fix the problem? I already updated the chipset. And uninstalled all the devices under USB System controller in Device Manager.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: XP not detecting USB devices
    « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 12:00:01 AM »
    Go to the manufacturer's website and download all drivers and reinstall them.

Most (if not all) laptops don't have a replaceable/upgradeable sound card.

As for whether or not it already has one, it does:
    SigmaTel™ STAC9751 AC-97 v.2.2 Compliant Audio Codec- Intel® high definition audio compliant

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 12:00:30 AM »
    This is no sound card in a laptop. It is part of the motherboard and can not be replaced. The USB ports may have been damaged. Try eevery USB port with an USB device. It ncan take up to 30 seconds for a device to be recgnized.

Does the laptop have a PC card slot? (Also called PCMCIA card.)

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 12:41:24 AM »
    This thread is a continuation...

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 12:47:55 AM »
    This is no sound card in a laptop. It is part of the motherboard and can not be replaced.

Some do. My Toshiba (can't remember model, about 10 years ago) had a (if I remember right) C-Media one that could actually be removed and replaced with an identical one if needed without replacing anything else. My girlfriend's Toshiba Libretto U100 also had a removable/replaceable sound card. Neither could be upgraded though, as the size/shape of the cards are proprietary to those systems, but like I said, either could have been replaced if you did something like broke the volume control or a jack (both things were directly connected to the cards). Provided you could find a replacement. I have seen others in laptops I worked on (non-Toshiba) that have a similar "sound card".

JL2008

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 08:06:08 PM »
      Panasonic said that I have a sound card. So looks like my laptop has a chip sound card. I already went to the manufactures website and updated the drivers. Yes I do have PC card slot. I only have 1 USB port. I might just buy a docking station to connect the external sound card. Anyone know how to restore to factory settings without a CD. I pressed F11 during boot up but nothing happened.