Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Random Power Loss  (Read 3093 times)

mrzolt

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Random Power Loss
    « on: October 31, 2011, 08:11:41 PM »
    Hey guys.

I have a desktop that I have consistently been having issues with. It is only about a year old and I built it myself. I posted a few weeks ago how I was having issues getting the computer to start after replacing the motherboard. I had to replace the motherboard because I thought it was the issue with the problem i'm still having, which is that my desktop will just randomly lose power. It seems to run different lengths of time before it dies each time too. For example, I hadn't had an issue with it for a few days until it crashed again today. It has nothing to do with what i'm running on the computer (last time it was just a word document, before it has had games and music running). I've been able to power it up and check the windows log and all it says is "computer unexpectedly lost power at xx:xx:xx on 10/31" or something along those lines. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Random Power Loss
    « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 08:24:25 PM »
    Do some simple test.
    Get a diagnostic program  to run from a USB drive. (Or a Linux Distro.) Disconnect the Hard Drive. See how long the PC runs without the hard drive. This is to eliminate the HDD as the bad guy. But if the PC runs on and on without the hard drive sucking power, you know it was the hard drive that was causing the shut down.

Also, have you checked the CPU temperature recently?

mrzolt

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 08:27:32 PM »
      I haven't tried the Hard Drive thing, i'll give it a try later. I do not think it's a temperature though because I ran it all yesterday with no issues (when it was a little hotter) and it died within 30 minutes of starting up today (which is a cold day). I can still check it out though.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 09:30:53 PM »
      Borrow a known good PSU of the same or greater wattage and swap it in there overnite...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 10:34:56 PM »
      Borrow a known good PSU of the same or greater wattage and swap it in there overnite...
      That is a good idea.
      But I still say the hard drive or the CD drive can cause that kind of thing.

mrzolt

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 01:05:30 AM »
        Oh I forgot to mention I have tried 3 PSU's and none of them fixed the issues. One was new, the other was a working one from a friend. The odd thing is that before I replaced the motherboard the computer would only shut down when I was playing games and things graphically intensive. Now it's completely random.

mrzolt

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 10:44:38 PM »
          What program would you recommend to test the health a Hitachi hard drive?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 11:32:37 PM »
          What program would you recommend to test the health a Hitachi hard drive?
          http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/#DFT