Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mail-Deamon Failure Notice  (Read 4549 times)

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Mail-Deamon Failure Notice
    « on: September 12, 2011, 06:36:40 PM »
    Yes, what is this?  For the past week I have been getting about 10-20 of these a day?  I made changes so they go right to the trash folder.  Thanks

truenorth

Guru

Re: Mail-Deamon Failure Notice
      « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 11:39:04 AM »

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 01:02:31 PM »
        I knew what is was, but what I didn't know is why is my mail box full of them when I don't send any messages out of that address.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 01:06:58 PM »
        If you use your email address as a screen name in web forums, I predict many future messages in your inbox... some similar and some different...

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 01:09:01 PM »
          I saw somewhere to change my password and that might stop it.  I have now I'll wait and see.  Thanks

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 01:13:42 PM »
          I saw somewhere to change my password and that might stop it.  I have now I'll wait and see.  Thanks

If this ...

[email protected]

... is a genuine email address that belongs to you, you were stupid to use it as your posting name on this forum. Do you understand why?

I didn't know is why is my mail box full of them when I don't send any messages out of that address.

I can take a guess.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 04:36:43 PM »
            From a discussion i had many years ago with an ISP re the desire to reduce (or try to eliminate) a horrendous amount of spam i was told the following. Changing anything other than the account itself will not provide the relief as every other change will still lead to your account. Which is where the spam is aimed at. I have also sent a direct advisory to the O/P advising against the use of an e-mail address as a forum I.D. truenorth

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 10:35:31 PM »
              Thanks for your input.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 12:02:19 AM »
              From a discussion i had many years ago with an ISP re the desire to reduce (or try to eliminate) a horrendous amount of spam i was told the following. Changing anything other than the account itself will not provide the relief as every other change will still lead to your account. Which is where the spam is aimed at. I have also sent a direct advisory to the O/P advising against the use of an e-mail address as a forum I.D. truenorth

truenorth, I think maybe you did not understand the OP's problem.

It's not spam coming in he's talking about.

He wrote:

Mail-Deamon  Failure Notice

For the past week I have been getting about 10-20 of these a day

what I didn't know is why is my mail box full of them when I don't send any messages out of that address.

Here is the answer:

1. If you did not send these messages, someone is falsely using your email address as a FROM or REPLY TO address for spam messages they are sending. You are getting the invalid TO addresses. There is nothing you can do. They are not using your account.

2. They probably harvested your email address from the web because you used it as a forum screen name or made it public in some other way.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
                • Me
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 05:38:48 AM »
              you were stupid

I'm not sure that was necessary.

I suspect email spoofing is the cause of the problem and there is almost nothing that can be done about it at this stage, other than changing email address: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_spoofing
              Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Salmon Trout

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 07:14:55 AM »
              I'm not sure that was necessary.

I suspect email spoofing is the cause of the problem and there is almost nothing that can be done about it at this stage, other than changing email address: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_spoofing

I didn't say he was stupid, period (or full stop). I don't know the guy well enough to make that assessment.  I said he was stupid to plaster his email address all over the world wide web. Slightly different meaning.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 08:22:41 AM »
                ST, Your distinction on the specifics of the O/P's issue is well taken and understood. My reference of the ISP comment was intended in the general sense that issues pertaining to an e-mail "account" can only be resolved by changing the account  address as otherwise the issues remain even if other changes (password/name of recipient/etc) are instituted. I only included the "spam " reference as that was MY issue at the time.truenorth