Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: what software program  (Read 2761 times)

ukgirl1

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    what software program
    « on: September 13, 2011, 11:16:37 AM »
    Hi I am new here and I am looking for some help. I have a small business and am looking for a software program. I have been looking at neatdesk, but can't seem to find the answers to questions, which would make all the difference. I need a program that can scan in documents, then file them to different folders.  It would also need to cross-reference. Example, I make a folder for each job we have, another folder for each employee, then another one for all materials, equipment that the employees purchase using a PO no. Right now I have 20 paper files scattered on the floor while I try to match them up. I need to verify the purchase, with the job folder and the employee. Everything has to be accounted for and everything has to fit, like a puzzle coming together. I have Peachtree accounting software, but that is only good for invoicing, closing out invoices, writing checks and quotes. It doesn't have the above functions I am looking for to make my business easy to manage. I hope someone has some ideas. Thanks in advance.

truenorth

Guru

Re: what software program
      « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 11:57:59 AM »
      It might help to assist if the following question can be answered. Do you want each employee to input their own data to a common source from their own point of access,IE their computer terminal. Or do you want all the data presented to another employee that becomes responsible for entering the data on behalf of the pertinent individual?truenorth

ukgirl1

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 03:02:21 PM »
        Good question. For now we are quite small with a budget to match. It would be great to have the first option, but for the time being it would be myself entering the data.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 11:55:58 AM »
          Hopefully others will chime in with other ideas and suggestions for you. I am NOT a user of these type of programs but i can certainly imagine that many are. I would suggest that you read up on a few software programs to see if they can meet your goals. Here is a link to compare "Quickbooks" and "Quicken for small Business"
          http://www.smallbusinessfinancetips.com/quicken-vs-quickbooks.html
          It also occurs to me that Excel (a component of Microsoft Office) may offer that which you seek. I am not sure that you will be able to find a single software that will do all you desire it may take a combination. I would like to see others input on that.
          Without any basis of experience it occurs to me that this aspect "I need a program that can scan in documents, then file them to different folders." may be a problem. Once scanned in there would be a need for a program to be able to identify who's it is/what it represents/and where it needs to go. So there would be a need (i imagine) for the input (that which is scanned) to be coded prior to a scan that would enable some software to use the coding to determine and assign it appropriately to your desired result. I hope that this reply will generate more input from others to assist you.truenorth

ukgirl1

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 12:59:51 PM »
            You have been most helpful and thank you. I did some research and came up with a few options for my specific business, which is construction. I suppose I should have said that in the first place. I found a few and am getting some demos on them. One is Job power, which offers a scanning program with it that sounds exactly what I am looking for. Another is Sage Masterbuilder. I just have to find out the pros and cons. I have been using Peachtree accounting software, but need to upgrade. I thought I could keep P tree and find another program to help me assist, which would be much more cost effective. However, there doesn't seem to be anything out on the market that I can find. Any more advise will be much appreciated. Thanks again.