Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't change resolution  (Read 3355 times)

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Computer won't change resolution
    « on: September 14, 2011, 08:02:05 PM »
    I turned my computer on this morning and my monitor said "Out of Range".  I had never seen that before and after looking through book that came with monitor, it said change to a higher resolution.  Since I couldn't get to the regular Vista, I opened computer in Safe Mode.  I changed the resolution but it won't stay where I put it.  It keeps going back to the lowest setting and I need 1680 x 1050. I don't have that setting but I set it on 1620 x something, I can't remember. After clicking Apply, Okay, the screen goes away, but when I pull it back up, it has gone back to the low setting.  I am using an old monitor right now and the highest setting I can get on this is 1280 x 1024.  My monitor is a 22" flat screen, not very old.  This monitor I am using is ancient but I can at least get online.  So can anyone help me figure this out - how to get the resolution changed so I can use my newer monitor?  I don't know how this happened as I have been using the newer monitor for over a year and a half, I didn't change anything (settings, etc.). Thanks for your help in advance.

Debby

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer won't change resolution
    « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 08:31:39 PM »
    Post your computer and your newer monitor model and brand together with any built-in or video card installed specification. The usual symptoms being displayed in your case is the native or recommended resolution by both the hardware(monitor and video card or onboard) as being set to its highest compatibility. Check the documentation of the new monitor together with the video card feature or settings. Its also possible that you are using a different cable (DVI, VGA) to hit the possible solution needed as oppose to the older monitor which is most likely the case.

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Re: Computer won't change resolution
      « Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 09:11:57 AM »
      My newer monitor is a 22" Westinghouse and my computer is no particular brand as it was built for me. My video card is NVIDIA GeForce 6100.  With the old monitor I can get a 1280 x 1024 resolution. I hook my new monitor up and it will come on, but everything is too big. I can change the resolution but cannot click on Apply or Okay because they are so large they are off the screen.  Someone at Computer Hope once told me how to move those windows using an arrow key, but I don't remember what it was (control and t? - thought that was it-didn't work).  I've been using the Westinghouse monitor for 2 years, using the cable that came with monitor.  I did talk to someone this morning who told me they think my monitor is going bad, however, if that is the case, why can I use it in Safe Mode?  And why doesn't Safe Mode hold my changes to the resolution?  I am somewhat computer stupid and trying to answer your questions plus figure it out by trial and error.  My trial and error isn't getting me very far!