Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reverting back to Microsoft Office 2003 from 2007  (Read 5468 times)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

Reverting back to Microsoft Office 2003 from 2007
    « on: September 14, 2011, 08:15:13 PM »
    My wife downloaded and installed a 25 use version of Office 2007 today. She had been using the 2003 version which came preinstalled on her computer. Once the 2007 version installed; all her documents in Publisher 2003 became part of the Publisher 2007. She now wants to revert to the 2003 version. She believes that the 2003 version is on the discs that came with her computer. However the concern is that if she uninstalls the 2007 she will lose all her documents. If she were to do a restore to yesterday would the program revert to 2003 with all the documents intact as they were before the today install of 2007?truenorth

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Reverting back to Microsoft Office 2003 from 2007
    « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 09:52:09 PM »
    Is it possible to do a backup of the documents before doing the system restore?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-is-System-Restore

System Restore uses a feature called System Protection to regularly create and save restore points on your computer. These restore points contain information about registry settings and other system information that Windows uses. You can also create restore points manually.
    System Restore is not intended for backing up personal files, so it cannot help you recover a personal file that has been deleted or damaged. You should regularly back up your personal files and important data using a backup program.
    All the documents should remain, but I would really follow Microsoft's advice...
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 11:27:58 PM »
    The user in this thread have your same case http://www.techtalkz.com/microsoft-office/327565-revert-office-2003-2007-a.html
    An Add-on tool available here http://www.addintools.com/index.html

Classic Menu for Office 2007 v6.80                           
    • Brings back the familiar menus and toolbars of Office 2003 (XP and 2010) to Microsoft Office 2007.
    • Supports all languages that are supported by Microsoft Office 2007.
    • Easy to deploy the software to all the computers in your organization or enterprise.
    • Not only includes Classic Menu for Word, Excel and PowerPoint, also includes Classic Menu for Access and Outlook 2007.
    If by chance you decide to keep Microsoft Office 2007.
    « Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:39:17 PM by jason2074 »

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 07:10:11 AM »
      Transfusion and Jason2074, Thanks guys. We have confirmed that ALL her documents created in publisher 2003 (as none had yet been created in 2007) are in fact within her "my documents". Therefore it does make sense that even if 2007 were uninstalled all the documents would remain and if 2003 were to be installed the documents would return to being associated with 2003. Just to fill you in on how this issue arose here is what happened. We purchased a legitimate copy of Office 2007 with the proper "key".Without paying full attention to the "license agreement" (does anyone actually read those things completely ;)) we accepted it on my computer. Which was the 1st mistake as i never use that program. I have Open Office on mine. Then we proceeded to install it on my wife's computer. That was when it advised us that it was only usable for a maximum of 25 times. We now know if she had chosen the "customize " option instead of the "upgrade" her 2003 would have been available to retain as well if so selected. Because "upgrade" was chosen it removed 2003 and associated all her documents with the 2007. Panic set in. She has tons of Publisher created documents and feared losing them either at the end of the trial or when she uninstalled 2007 and reinstalled 2003. So now that all is well she is going to use the 2007 until it runs out so she can appraise the differences in the 2.thanks again,truenorth

blindhelpfultech

Beginner
      • Nadia
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 01:31:19 PM »
      My best advice I can give you is if the CD came with the computer. Save all word files in: 97-2003 document (.doc). All publisher files to: publisher 200 files. All excel files to: 97- 2003 work book (.xls) All power point files 97-2003 ptt. Doing this I have found even if you have Office 2010. I am able to open every thing in 2003, 2007, and 2010. The () show if you have file extractions  turned on what it would show. Make sure you are not SAVING in template format. That does not always work so well. Also, when you install 2003, you have to uninstall 2007. The versions types are incompatible and will not able to both be on the computer.

Hope this helps, let me know if it does,
      Nadia       
      Great learders know they don't know everything and that is OK to say they have no idea. Doing that they will allow them to not knowing is not a problem, it leaves you to be open minded to learn from others It is OK to ask for detail and learn from those that as we are are all new at something and have our skill set.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 12:42:43 PM »
      Without paying full attention to the "license agreement" (does anyone actually read those things completely ) we accepted it on my computer. Which was the 1st mistake as i never use that program. I have Open Office on mine. Then we proceeded to install it on my wife's computer. That was when it advised us that it was only usable for a maximum of 25 times.
      Assuming the two computers involved here are both desktop systems, the license agreement for most versions of MS Office only allows installation on one computer.  But, by uninstalling it from your computer, that would make full installation on your wife's computer legitimate.  However, in this situation, a call to Microsoft might be necessary to explain the situation and get Office working on a permanent basis on your wife's computer.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 08:13:22 AM »
        Thanks soybean hadn't thought of that as an option. May resort to that as a possible solution and yes they are both desktops. truenorth

blindhelpfultech

Beginner
        • Nadia
        « Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 04:26:40 PM »
        That would be a good idea to call them you have most likley the trail copy on your computer its cheaper if you keep it installed and buy a product key from them
        Great learders know they don't know everything and that is OK to say they have no idea. Doing that they will allow them to not knowing is not a problem, it leaves you to be open minded to learn from others It is OK to ask for detail and learn from those that as we are are all new at something and have our skill set.

accessprogram

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 06:35:37 PM »
          Your wife should have back up first before doing the installation. And I think Lindhelpfultech have a good idea. :)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 07:06:49 PM »
            I appreciate that the last two new members have seen fit to come on the thread and proffer their advice. However two things should be noted.
            1. the last previous post was in Sept of 2011 and
            2.It is depicted as "solved"
            truenorth