Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bad Motherboard. What's a girl to do?  (Read 3085 times)

R8RDiva

Bad Motherboard. What's a girl to do?
« on: September 19, 2011, 12:51:24 PM »
My Inspiron D530 stopped working over the weekend and the tech I took it to stated that the motherboard went bad. I'm trying to figure out my options. Buy a new CPU and have my data transferred, but then I'd also have to reload my software? Buy a new CPU that is compatible with the D530's hard drive and swap them out. Order a new motherboard?   The tech is recommending having a clone built to the tune of $400.  What feed back do you suggest?

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Bad Motherboard. What's a girl to do?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 09:09:47 PM »
You just have to get a replacement motherboard from vendors such as Gigabyte, MSI, Asus, etc. and you will have a fully functioning computer. A quick google search shows that these are your specs: Intel Celeron 450, 500GB HDD, 2GB RAM.

That is an LGA 775 socket CPU.
LGA 775 Motherboards:
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/list.aspx?s=42&jid=3&p=2&v=7
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/#/?sk=Socket%20775%20(Intel%20Core%202)
The G45 Chipset should suffice for everyday use.

CPUs are not related to hard drives-your HDD just plugs into the motherboard via SATA or IDE.
You can even upgrade your PC to the Intel Core 2 Duo CPU with a new motherboard. The highest CPU you can get is the Core 2 Extreme.

You don't have to build a clone of that PC "to the tune of $400"-that sounds pretty expensive for a Celeron PC without discrete graphics. You can build the AMD PC in my specs for less than $313.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 09:46:26 PM by Transfusion »
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 09:35:03 PM »
The tech is recommending having a clone built to the tune of $400.
Ask the technician about the Hardware components installed first and post them for a better suggestion from CH. Are these brand new or refurbished items for a custom built? Plus the operating system to be installed.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 09:38:21 PM »
You just have to get a replacement motherboard from vendors such as Gigabyte, MSI, Asus, etc. and you will have a fully functioning computer. A quick google search shows that these are your specs: Intel Celeron 450, 500GB HDD, 2GB RAM.

That is an LGA 775 socket CPU.
LGA 775 Motherboards:
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/list.aspx?s=42&jid=3&p=2&v=7
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/#/?sk=Socket%20775%20(Intel%20Core%202)
The G45 Chipset should suffice for everyday use.

CPUs are not related to hard drives-your HDD just plugs into the motherboard via SATA or IDE.
You can even upgrade your PC to the Intel Core 2 Duo CPU with a new motherboard. The highest CPU you can get is the Core 2 Extreme.

You don't have to build an entirely new computer "to the tune of $400"-that sounds pretty expensive for a Celeron PC without discrete graphics. You can build the AMD PC in my specs for less than $313.

No offense but you're doing her a disservice suggesting a new MBoard...even with a CPU upgrade when that cabbage could be well spent on a new machine...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 09:44:23 PM »
No offense but you're doing her a disservice suggesting a new MBoard...even with a CPU upgrade when that cabbage could be well spent on a new machine...

Your comment was not offensive at all :) .
Yes the LGA 775 is a dead end in terms of upgrades. Intel has already moved on to the LGA 1156/1155/1366 to support the i3, i5, and i7 processors, which are all more cost-effective over the old Core 2 series.
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

kwisj

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 01:59:23 AM »
    Hi here's an idea

Buy the same make and model MOBO as the one that went bad, and transfer all the components to that
    like this your pc will be as it was
    I speak from experience of having just done that!
    ;-)

Cost for me doing this about 49$ and about 1 hour of my time