Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: High Latency/"Stutter  (Read 4251 times)

culblock15

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    High Latency/"Stutter
    « on: September 19, 2011, 08:04:20 PM »
    Hello, I recently bought a new computer with Windows 7 and the preformance from the computer itself is fine but I believe something is up with the wireless.

Problem: Webpages and music seem to load and work fine, but when playing large games such as League of Legends or Minecraft(if you call that large) I experience times when my latency is very high and my character is slow to react or in the case of Minecraft people seem to stop and flash across the map. Also team fortress 2 failed for me with random freezes making me quit.

Temporary "Fix": One wierd thing that happens is that if I play League of Legends with Skype open and I'm talking to someone or thier talking to me (a conversation is going on) the latency significantly lowers from somewhere 300+ to the low 20-50s. Have not tried this fix on minecraft yet but I dont want to depend on this every time.

Wireless: 802.11n wireless Lan card by Ralink

If you guys need any other info ask please

Fixes I have tried: I have tried resetting the router (D-Link dir-655 or something like that)  Resetting my network, Attempted to completely disable norton dont know if I successfully did or not, and some minor fixes such as defragmenting and using CCleaner

Note: My brother/father/mother/my old laptops internet were perfectly fine noting that my old laptop would run minecraft with perfect character speeds.

I have done a Pingtest and Speedtest   Both giving me a grade of A and as I recall I had 14-15mbps download and 20-30 mbps upload speed with 0 packetloss and around 7 ping with 1ms of jitter

I have tried moving my computer around the house with insignificant changes, but plugging into the router itself for an inconclusive 10 minute period SEEMED to fix the problem

Please dont ask me to delete Norton like on other forums, because I'd rather keep it while I can, and I'm just looking for an alternative to getting a huge wire reaching all the way to my router

Thanks for any feedback,
    Culblock15

culblock15

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: High Latency/"Stutter
      « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 08:08:25 PM »
      Forgot to mention
      My windows is legitamite
      My computer is a customized HP pavilion slimline model s5-1070t
      I have 6 GB of RAM
      I have an NVIDIA 1 GB Graphics card
      Only things I have plugged in are my mouse keyboard and a turtle beach headset
      I DO have the preformance set to high
      I have an intel i7 dual core or whatever its called processor

Thanks for input

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 08:58:50 PM »
      No I don't think deleting Norton has anything to do with the problem at hand.

Are your game ports open on your firewall?
      In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
      Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

culblock15

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 04:15:35 PM »
        Sorry for late reply but I think they are? lemme check on the Interne to unblock them and get back to you.