Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help with data retrieval.  (Read 3261 times)

slugsbunny

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • packin' heat
    Need help with data retrieval.
    « on: September 02, 2005, 09:53:03 PM »
    sup? The other day my system stopped functioning properly. When I turned on the system everything would seem to function normally except that the monitor won't show anything. I tried some other monitors but they didn't work. I opened up the system and everything would seem like its functioning normally. I tried my sister's vcard but its the same *censored* thing. It wasn't until I removed the power connectors(molex and so forth) from the various devices that I realized the power connector which connects the power supply to the mobo was fried for the most part. Unfortunately it made some burns in the powerslot in the motherboard as well so I'm guessing its useless too.

The motherboard that got burned was a Gigabyte k7 Triton 400 GA-7VA. I do have another motherboard but I'm guessing its unfortunate that its not the same one as the one that got burned. The spare one I have is an ASUS A7N8X-X. The system I had was running windows xp pro at the time which brings me to my main concern, recovering the data that was on that 80gig hard drive. I heard stories that you can't just use xp on another motherboard. I don't have an xp pro cd, never got one with my system. I do have a windows 98 cd however and I also have a spare hard drive that's 40GB.

Here are more detailed specs on my sys that died the other day.
    Mobo: Gigabyte k7 Triton 400 GA-7VA
    Chipset: VIA KT400
    CPU: Authentic AMD Athlon 1.92Ghz
    RAM: 512MB
    VidCard: Radeon 9600 Pro
    HDD: 80GB
    Partitons: About 3
    Filesystem: NTFS

Spare parts that haven't really been used yet.
    Mobo: ASUS A7N8X-X
    CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1600+(came connected to the mobo)
    HDD: Maxtor 40GB

I already know I need a PS but I need to know how to get my hard drive operational again or at least access the files that was on that hard drive with the other things I currently have. Any help would be appreciated.

Raptor

Re: Need help with data retrieval.
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 07:43:46 AM »
    If the Power Supply Unit nor Motherboard did come with an additional +12V connector (4 pinned) you should consider buying one that does.

If you are into DIY, you may be able to repair the mainboard by replacing the main power connector. I would advise against this, though. Especially if you consider using the same Power Supply Unit. It's probably not all that safe.

I already know I need a PS but I need to know how to get my hard drive operational again or at least access the files that was on that hard drive with the other things I currently have. Any help would be appreciated.

You can mount it as a slave in your sisters computer and transfer the files.

ojas25

Apprentice

• My Computer World
      « Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 10:24:34 AM »
      sup? The other day my system stopped functioning properly. When I turned on the system everything would seem to function normally except that the monitor won't show anything. I tried some other monitors but they didn't work. I opened up the system and everything would seem like its functioning normally. I tried my sister's vcard but its the same *censored* thing. It wasn't until I removed the power connectors(molex and so forth) from the various devices that I realized the power connector which connects the power supply to the mobo was fried for the most part. Unfortunately it made some burns in the powerslot in the motherboard as well so I'm guessing its useless too.

The motherboard that got burned was a Gigabyte k7 Triton 400 GA-7VA. I do have another motherboard but I'm guessing its unfortunate that its not the same one as the one that got burned. The spare one I have is an ASUS A7N8X-X. The system I had was running windows xp pro at the time which brings me to my main concern, recovering the data that was on that 80gig hard drive. I heard stories that you can't just use xp on another motherboard. I don't have an xp pro cd, never got one with my system. I do have a windows 98 cd however and I also have a spare hard drive that's 40GB.

Here are more detailed specs on my sys that died the other day.
      Mobo: Gigabyte k7 Triton 400 GA-7VA
      Chipset: VIA KT400
      CPU: Authentic AMD Athlon 1.92Ghz
      RAM: 512MB
      VidCard: Radeon 9600 Pro
      HDD: 80GB
      Partitons: About 3
      Filesystem: NTFS

Spare parts that haven't really been used yet.
      Mobo: ASUS A7N8X-X
      CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1600+(came connected to the mobo)
      HDD: Maxtor 40GB

Once you have partition a hard drive in most cases you cannot recover data I tell every one never partiton your hard drive always have a back up drive say 40GB so that rather then partition -  reformat the main drive.
      Computers are my hobby and my income love working with computers

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 01:49:24 AM »

Once you have partition a hard drive in most cases you cannot recover data I tell every one never partiton your hard drive always have a back up drive say 40GB so that rather then partition -  reformat the main drive.

ojas25 - Will you explain that please?  I have never had a problem accessing data on a slaved drive provided the OS file systems are compatible.

Thanks
      One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

slugsbunny

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • packin' heat
        « Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 05:21:08 AM »
        If the Power Supply Unit nor Motherboard did come with an additional +12V connector (4 pinned) you should consider buying one that does.

Not sure what it looks like, is that the one with two pin slots in two rows and the top has a clip? Not too sure what it looks like on the mobo either. Any benefits to this?

If you are into DIY, you may be able to repair the mainboard by replacing the main power connector. I would advise against this, though. Especially if you consider using the same Power Supply Unit. It's probably not all that safe.

No way, that's out of my scope and its sounds difficult. The damaged atx connector on the power supply is probably unsalvageable. It was a 350w powersupply but I plan on getting a 400+w.

You can mount it as a slave in your sisters computer and transfer the files.

Not sure if that's possible. Her main hdd is almost full and she runs Win ME.
        Will things still work out if I mount that same xp hdd as a slave if I install Win 98 on that spare hdd(making that one the master) I was talking about earlier? Will I still be able to transfer the files I need in that case? Dusty also mentioned file system compatability which has me extremely worried.