Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Usable OS on CD  (Read 2610 times)

Jahness

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
  • Experience: Expert
Usable OS on CD
« on: September 20, 2011, 11:59:24 PM »
I have a Laptop with a dead hard drive. Is there a way to boot to a CD with a fully funtional OS and install/run any programs off a external hard drive? No funds for a hard drive right now.

Thanks
John

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Usable OS on CD
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 02:30:56 AM »
Well, you could use BartPE: http://nu2.nu/pebuilder to create a bootable CD that is meant for recovery and troubleshooting use. However, with a bit of tweaking, I'm sure you could simulate a full-fledged Windows XP, with the one caveat that you will have to save all files to an external hard drive.

You could also use a Live CD of a Linux Distro, i.e. Ubuntu.

I had an external hard drive, I opened it, and I discovered it was merely an enclosure with a SATA drive inside. If your drive is out of warranty, you might want to do so.
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Jahness

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 07:16:12 PM »
Hey Transfusion, I tried the BartPE and it works GREAT on 2 of my computers but not to well on my Laptop. I also tried Linux Mint which also worked Great on my other computers but not on my Laptop. Conclusion? Laptop no good anymore. I think the MB is toast. But, it's works great as a door stop.

Thanks
John

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 08:43:33 PM »
Just wanted to state that with the ability to WRAP programs and applications now, making a Live Distro of Windows thru a custom Bart-PE is possible on whatever you can squeeze into a single 700MB or 4.7GB disc.

I saw on an episode of Hak5 recently a wrapper that allows you to run stuff that normally needs to be installed locally on the C drive to a thumb drive through a wrapper that allows for it to be added to a thumb drive and executed as a single stand alone EXE. That wrapper means that you dont need to have registry keys on that local machine I suppose because the wrapper gives the app all of its registry hooks if I read it correctly through virtualization.

Making a true Live version of Windows is illegal, so its advised not to do so! But it looks like its possible now with that wrapper.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 02:03:58 AM »
http://www.cameyo.com/   here is link to the software that might be able to make Bart-PE more functional

Jahness

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 10:31:36 PM »
OK, pardon my inexperience. What's a wrapper?

John

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 12:21:58 AM »
http://searchsoa.techtarget.com/definition/wrapper
DaveLembke, that is an excellent free alternative to Xenocode Virtual Studio, now known as Spoon Studio! I love it!
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none