Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Formatted all partitions by accident (Windows 7 install)  (Read 15795 times)

awl19

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Formatted all partitions by accident (Windows 7 install)
    « on: September 22, 2011, 09:03:14 PM »
    I was doing a re-install of Windows 7 on my laptop and I made the mistake of formatting both my drives. Now I have no drive to install to. I tried using diskpart.exe (via Windows 7 install dvd) and this is the jist of it. Either I have no clue what I'm doing or I'm hopelessly stuck between two walls with no escape.

Code: [Select]
    DISKPART> list disk

There are no fixed disks to show.

DISKPART> add disk=0

There is no volume selected to add the mirror.
    Select a simple dynamic volume and try again.

DISKPART> list volume

***displayed Windows 7 dvd here, but no other volumes***

DISKPART> create volume simple disk=0

There is no disk specified to create the volume.
    Please specify a disk using the DISK=<N> parameter.

So, I'm getting the impression I can't create a volume without a disk and I can't add a disk without a volume. If anyone can help me out with this I would be very grateful.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Formatted all partitions by accident (Windows 7 install)
    « Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 09:30:02 PM »
    Wait... the windows 7 install disc should have a partition tool...? why are you using diskpart?
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/52291-partition-hard-drive-windows-7-install.html
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

awl19

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 09:56:44 PM »
      Thanks for the quick reply.

During the installation of Windows 7, on the part where it's titled "Where do you want to install Windows?" there are no longer any drives (C: and D:, the ones I formatted) and the "New" option which I'd assume would create a new drive is greyed out and unclickable. Not sure where to go from here.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 10:26:05 PM »
      You mean partitions-I highly doubt you have 2 separate hard drives in your laptop.
      Your laptop isn't detecting your hard drive properly.... would it be possible to take the HDD out and pop it into another computer?
      Have you tried other installation disks of other operating systems to see if they detect your HDD?
      Can you go into your BIOS to see if your HDD is recognized?
      In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.

awl19

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 10:41:01 PM »
        Yes, sorry for my terminology. I formatted my 'partitions' and now my entire hdd isn't showing up in the install. It appears not to be showing up in my BIOS either. I'm looking at the boot order and instead of a detailed description of my hdd, it simply says: Notebook Hard Drive. I suppose I could take it out but I'm not really sure how easy it would be since it's a laptop instead of desktop. Also, I find it odd that it suddenly happened when I formatted. The problem would imply my hdd got physically disconnected (which is unlikely considering the situation)

How should I proceed?

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 10:54:33 PM »
        A physical disconnection is unlikely.

Your computer is not recognizing the hard drive properly...
        Try another installation disc (i.e. Windows XP, Ubuntu, etc) to see if it is the Windows 7 install disc causing the problem(unlikely, but give it a go.)

If all else fails I'd say you should take the hard drive out. Taking the HDD out should be very simple-laptop HDDs slide into a port on the motherboard-you don't have to take the entire motherboard out.

awl19

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 02:44:09 AM »
          Thanks so much for the help transfusion. I tried installing Ubuntu, which resulted in the same thing (in that there were no partitions) but after browsing the forums, the community suggested loading the Live CD so I could go into the OS and access the console, from there I was able to create the drive, partitions, and format them.

Appreciate it, mate.