Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Full factory reinstall of Windows using command prompt found with f-10 on reboot  (Read 6984 times)

iamthehuffer

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    I have an EVEREX lap top that had the reboot  problem associated with windows VISTA upgrade, "Upgrade 3-3% complete......". Well I f-10'd on reboot and got the command  /NoExecute=Optin /??????? (something about resetting with a full restall to factory Windows) but I didn't write down the string and I got impatient and stopped it before it completed. Now I get a message "Windows cannot complete the installation. to continue installing Windows restart the computer." on restart it goes to the same message. When I try f-10 again the full string is not there, only the /NoExecute=Optin with a blinking curser. Can you tell me the rest of the string to write in to restart redoing the factory reinstallation?
                                                                                                               Thanks Robert

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    I doubt the installation would be completed properly if you forced it to quit... so I'd recommend booting to DVD and doing a repair install.
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

iamthehuffer

Topic Starter

Starter

I don't have the CD.
                     Robert

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      the "NoExecute=Optin/" is probably part of a bootloader entry which boots to the corrupt Windows Install.
      How did you manage to upgrade to Vista without a DVD? Did you download the ISO directly from the Windows website? If you have the ISO you have to somehow get the file to a working computer, and then create a bootable USB flash drive from the ISO.
      In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.

iamthehuffer

Topic Starter

Starter

the "NoExecute=Optin/" is probably part of a bootloader entry which boots to the corrupt Windows Install.

Your Right! That's why I Need the command that start's the reinstall.
        I was given this computer because it was jamed up from the upgrade message "Upgrede 3 - 3% complete...." and it's continuous reboot cycle. That's what I was trying to fix when I messed up and stopped the reinstall. It may have an ISO but  I have looked for hours and can't find it.

Robert                                                                                       

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        "NoExecute=Optin/"
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff557134(VS.85).aspx

Optin and Optout seem to be modifiers only used in Windows XP and Server 2003. I'm afraid you are stuck in a quagmire-you don't have a functioning operating system, and you can't redo your Windows Vista upgrade because you simply do not have a bootloader entry for the Vista installation. Now you need to get the Vista installation media out of the hard drive onto a functioning computer-this is a laptop, which makes it all the more tedious...

Does your EVEREX computer have an OS recovery partition? How exactly did you upgrade Windows? What is the model of your laptop?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        "Upgrade 3-3% complete......"
        Try this Microsoft link here and use Method 2 -> Method 2: Start the computer in safe mode, and then use the System Restore feature

JJ 3000

Egghead
        Try this Microsoft link here and use Method 2 -> Method 2: Start the computer in safe mode, and then use the System Restore feature

I think we're a bit beyond that. He's already tried to fix the update problem by reinstalling. He stopped the install halfway through and now his system is borked.

And just FYI Jason2074, when someone has their fingers crossed behind their back like that, it usually means they're lying.

Robert, you may have to call Everex and ask them to send you a restore disk for your computer. Either that or find a Vista DVD to do the install.
        http://www.fic.com.tw/everex/us/support/support.htm
        Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.
        http://www.petfinder.com/

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        And just FYI Jason2074, when someone has their fingers crossed behind their back like that, it usually means they're lying
        Sorry, I did not know that. :-[ What I meant was good luck. Thanks JJ :)

iamthehuffer

Topic Starter

Starter

Thanks for trying to help everyone. Looks like it'll take a cd to redo.
                                                                                   Robert