Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Motherboard question  (Read 3025 times)

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Motherboard question
    « on: September 27, 2011, 06:54:02 PM »
    Hello

Just some advice, please.

I recently saw a blue spark at the back of my PC tower (it all happened so quickly and I just saw it in the corner of my eye).

The PC now seems dead - as if no electricity is getting to it. Does that imply that the motherboard is dead. Is there a definitive test I can use, before I have to dispose of it?

Thanks

High1

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Motherboard question
    « Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 07:01:23 PM »
    No, the motherboard is OK.
    The spark came from the PSU, -right?

This is agues based on experience.  The PUS has a glass fuse that gives off a blue spark when it fails.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 07:16:11 PM »
    How can you tell the MBoard is fine ? ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 07:52:26 PM »
    Definitive test would obviously be to take a working PSU and components, plug them into the motherboard, and see if it boots.

A quick google search for "blue spark on motherboard" shows that people have experienced such sparks not just in the power supply... And even if it was the power supply that fried, it could have resulted in a momentary power surge that damaged the motherboard.
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 10:21:47 PM »
    ... And even if it was the power supply that fried, it could have resulted in a momentary power surge that damaged the motherboard.
    Citation requested. I have never hear of that. Ever. The PSU does not create power surges.
    The following  is FALSE.
    Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
    The power supply's job is to provide several voltages to the motherboard and hard drives. These components don't have fuses or overvoltage protection beyond a normal line fluctation. Yes, much of the MB might be fried--but I expect that only the power interfaces. This means that the processor (the most expensive component) might still be okay. The hard drives might also be okay... but it's hard to tell.
    Where do they get this stuff? Do any of these people read anything? We are talking about PSUs made in recent history, not the ones used by the Rolling Stones.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 10:29:32 PM »
    I have personally fried an AMD 760G chipset motherboard before(forgot brand) with a faulty 350 W PSU that caused a single resistor to start smoking and emitting sparks(I know it was that single PSU as I had tried other PSUs before.) Other appliances plugged into the same power strip were unaffected.

A power surge from the mains could have resulted in damaged components.

I read the quote from Yahoo! Answers that you posted.
    The processor also has voltage pins, to begin with... and it is a sensitive piece of electronic equipment. I have fried 2 MSI SATA DVD-ROM drives before. Again, the most definitive way is to plug the components into a working PC and test.
    « Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 10:48:50 PM by Transfusion »
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 11:16:32 PM »
    Transfusion,
    Thanks for hour input. I noticed that you are basing your remarks on actual experience. Good . So was I.

Here in the USA it is very rare for the line voltage to spike unless there is a major failure in the local distribution system. Like when a drunk smashes into a pole with 2500 volt line that falls into a 220 volt feeder. Not very often, but that would really fry your TV, PC and digital clock.

I have looked into other forums and  never found a real answer to this question.  Most of the answers were posted by individuals who had little experience and even less knowledge.

In any case, buying a new PSU is a sensible thing to do. The cost of a good PSU is often less than a new motherboard. And maybe the PSU is easier to trade with a friend. 

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 11:44:23 PM »
    In China over here are frequent complaints of voltage dropping too low and fluctuations which cause your electronic equipment to frequently reboot-especially at 5:00-8:00 PM. We usually buy power supplies which support a large range of voltages, such as 90V-270 V. HuntKey is a reputable power supply manufacturer here. I have never had any problems with their units. Voltage stabilizers/regulators are a necessity in some places. If you have a bad power supply in the wrong place at the wrong time, God help you.

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 02:22:20 AM »
      Hello

Many thanks to you all for your considered replies.

At least it appears that it is not a motherboard problem.

I will remove the PSU and try it in another PC (if I can find one). If that PC doesn't work, I will know it is that.

Thanks again.

High1

luck of the irish

Intermediate
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 01:05:49 PM »
      check your input voltage on the PSU (it is located at the back of the computer) and make sure it is set to the correct voltage.

Sources:

comptia a++
      http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f15/blue-sparks-shooting-out-of-the-power-supply-39894.html

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 01:12:43 PM »
        Hello luck of the irish

It should be 240v for the UK - I'll check it on the PC tower.

Thanks.