Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Censorship. Home and Abroad.  (Read 3903 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Internet Censorship. Home and Abroad.
« on: December 11, 2011, 10:21:04 PM »
Internet Censorship. Home and Abroad.

Here is a recent ABC news report about:
Criag's List
Google in China.
SOPA

Dec. 8, 2011

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/sopa-internet-censorship-anti-piracy-bills-congress/story?id=15108326#.TuWNNHopo8E

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Internet Censorship. Home and Abroad.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 08:58:52 AM »
I suggest everyone read this article.  This is a very important issue.  I intend to contact my Congressman via his website. 

Darthgumby

Beginner
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 09:12:02 AM »
    Sometimes I think it is bogus when there is a website, such as the pirate bay, that any ding dong can log into and see links to download pirated media - and that because of some law or loophole there is a legitimate protection to have that site up.  Something like this should be stopped or at the very least extremely discouraged.  Now as far as being so strict that any site anywhere should be treated as a theft site if there is the slightest potential they may leak one copyrighted piece of information or another, eithe intentionally or unintentionally - that is bogus.  I do believe if we set new rules that makes it much more difficult to find and distribute pirated media, most people would give up and such practices would really dwindle to a very small group.

How hard is it for a search engine like Google, to be required to block sites out of their search filter?  How hard is it for a web browser or an antivirus program to be given a list of sites that are known for priacy and provide a warning to users?  How hard is it for an ISP to track the use of piracy sites, and even just send a warning letter or email to customers that the sites that were accessed as a required addition to their statement?  Maybe it still would not be illegal to access the sites due to freedoms of information, but it would scare a lot of people with not wanting to use them.
    There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that the ship has sailed, and that only a fool will continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 09:32:39 AM »
    Too late...it already passed.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 09:58:40 AM »
    So what happens if somebody accidentally copies a sentence that I posted once?

This is getting ridiculous.  For the most part the majority of people online do not have any malicious intent.

<edit> I know it's a ridiculous comparison, the bill is ridiculous as well. </edit>
    Evil is an exact science.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 10:07:31 AM »
    Well, I see now there's a movement among opponents to kill the bill.  http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/477751-Kill_Bill_Anti_SOPA_Forces_Amass.php.  So, I may still be contacting my Congressman.     

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 10:27:04 AM »
    Maybe they will bring in experts from China to help enforce the law. ::)

(Note to censors; this remark was intended as a joke.)