Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Old games being odd  (Read 9285 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Old games being odd
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 08:48:44 PM »
Were there any changes with Activex settings made at all during the installations?

This post is just far too amusing.  I'm just sitting here laughing...  ...sides are splitting...
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 07:15:42 AM »

This post is just far too amusing.  I'm just sitting here laughing...  ...sides are splitting...

Cool, it is contagious...
Evil is an exact science.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 07:23:27 AM »
Cool, it is contagious...

I was talking about your post :P

Allow me to explain, you asked "Were there any changes with Activex settings made at all during the installations?"

Which I concede might be a interesting course of questioning, if the installations in question didn't predate any sort of ActiveX by nearly 20 years! Additionally, no part of ActiveX- or COM, for that matter- is used by the DOS emulation subsystem, so changes to those settings wouldn't affect them (and I question what exactly constitutes an "ActiveX setting" since to my understanding none exist, except within other programs. (Internet Explorer, for example).

My best guess might be because of the way windows deals with older software installations. it can "detect" some game installs- notably, Duke Nukum 1, 2, and 3, and sets certain compatibility settings to config.nt and autoexec.nt that will change how all DOS-based software works. autoexec.nt and config.nt are profile-level, I believe, which would explain why the issues are reproducible in a new account.

It could very well be that those changes are needed for the other game, which isn't something Windows takes notice of being installed. Best way to confirm this would be to use Process Monitor (Filemon is deprecated) and  capture events for the initial installation and then search those results for a file access to any config.nt or autoexec.nt files.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 07:23:23 AM »
I was talking about your post :P

Yeah, I figured that out, I speak fluent sarcasm  ;D
I still have a few titles kicking around that use Activex and I think there might still be one or two that need DirectX.  I've also found a couple that require an older version of DirectX - and neither of them will run with the newer versions.  I realize that it's probably a missing game patch, but I'm not to worried about it since it runs flawless in a VM.
Evil is an exact science.