Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD HELP  (Read 2551 times)

Tina Wilder

DVD HELP
« on: September 03, 2005, 07:50:29 AM »
 The drive in my laptop is not recognizing the dvd inserted.  I am working at a governemtn facility and of coarse there is no one in the MIS department on Saturday.  I know the drive is supposed to play dvd's.  Tried to uninstall and reinstall the drive but of coarse I do not have those priv--access denied.  Wondering if someone might give some other suggestions.  When I insert the disk, go to my computer and click on the drive it says insert disk into drive.  But the disk is already in there.  

Thanks for the help!!

Raptor

Re: DVD HELP
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 10:15:10 AM »
What has caused your DVD drive to stop reading DVDs? Does it still read CD-ROMs?

Has it been properly inserted if it is removeable?

Why are you not the administrator - is this a shared computer?

wiltina

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 10:35:09 AM »
The drive does not recognoze any type disk.  I did take the drive out, but put it back in after a couple minutes.  It is in correctly.  My computer is in a shared network, the MIS Administrator is the only preson who has priv to install, delete, and so forth on any of our gov computers.  

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 11:23:09 AM »
You better not be tracing this call..

Have you tried to mount the DVD player in another laptop to see if it exhibits the same signs? If yes, it is safe to assume that it is malfunctioning.

wiltina

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 01:14:26 PM »
Only trying to get help.  I know so little about computers and the such I could not trace a call if I wanted to.  Really not even sure what you are getting at except fromt he italicized wording, I would have to assume that it is something bad?????

I tried taking the drive out of my laptop--had not until you siggested--but it did not work in the other laptop either.  So, I guess I will have to get with the MIS people on Monday to get it fixed or order another or whatever.  Is that our determination?

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 05:00:53 PM »
Really not even sure what you are getting at except fromt he italicized wording, I would have to assume that it is something bad

I am working at a governemtn facility

I like Hollywood. Get the connection?  ;)

I tried taking the drive out of my laptop--had not until you siggested--but it did not work in the other laptop either.  So, I guess I will have to get with the MIS people on Monday to get it fixed or order another or whatever.  Is that our determination?

If the DVD-ROM drive did not work on another Laptop from which you have removed a working drive, then it is safe to assume that the DVD-ROM needs to be replaced.

Try adding a known working DVD-ROM drive to your laptop if you want to be entirely certain. This is to make certain that the problem is not related to both your laptop and DVD-ROM player.