Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Redhat 9 hungs during booting.  (Read 3604 times)

Akod

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Certifications: List
    • Experience: Experienced
    Redhat 9 hungs during booting.
    « on: October 03, 2011, 03:46:38 PM »
    Hi everyone, i just installed Linux Redhat 9 on my machine with xp already installed. They are on separate partitions. After the installation, everything seems to work fine and i decided to restart the system only to have the Redhat hunging during bootup. It can hung for all you can think of without displaying anything and portraying a dark screen.
    Any help to resolve this would be much appreciated.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Redhat 9 hungs during booting.
    « Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 07:58:09 PM »
    Looks like your using incorrect video driver. What GPU does your system have and what driver did you select when installing RH9? I am guessing you see the list of everything mounting and then it just goes black? I had similar issues with Red Hat from version 6.0 to 9.0. I have since left using Red Hat and am using Ubuntu 10.10, Fedora14, and Mint 11 these days.

I am not sure how to manually change the video driver in RH9, but when i had problems with RH, I usually just blew the install away and installed fresh and tried different drivers and resolutions until I found one that worked. Try using Generic Video Driver which I think is an option at 60hz. Unfortunately the one that worked was 800x600 and the 1024x768 would black screen on me a few years ago. I am impressed with the other modern free distros for the ability to autodetect the correct drivers on an install without issues.

Also, if your having a hard time trying to find a video driver, in the past I have used Knoppix 4.0 a Live Linux CD to boot off of and take note as to the video driver it uses since its auto detect is pretty good, works 90% of the time. So when it mounts the video driver you can write that down and hunt down the RedHat version of that driver which may not be the oem driver for your GPU, but another that works. I think Knoppix is at version 6 or 7 these days. The newer the version the better for graphics driver support with more modern systems.

If all else fails you can wrap a dos video driver for Linux, but thats complicated, and I have never done a video driver wrapping, only a NDIS2 network driver wrapped to work in Linux. And in the end I should have just bought a new Netgear NIC that had the Linux support vs forcing that old 3Com to work, but it was worth the experience and it worked, and although i spent about 3 hours working on it, I suppose I saved money but sacrificed time in exchange.