Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: RAID question  (Read 2561 times)

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    RAID question
    « on: October 07, 2011, 12:22:23 PM »
    I have a mother board that has 4 SATA connections. I have SATA 0 & 1 set with identical drives running RAID 1.
    My question is If I purchase a new SATA drive to replace my IDE OS drive, can I connect it to SATA 3 or 4
    and use it as a single drive not affiliated with raid?

My second question is SMART STATUS on the raid drives. I have  identical drives. brand size etc.
    I beginning to think this was a bad idea. WHY. I get smart error of "SMART status for disk ST380013AS returned NOT OK."
    The ST380013AS  is same on both drives. So how do I tell which one is at issue?
    I ran smart test on both and they both pass, and say healthy. My smart failure happens about every 3 days.
    I hate to replace 2 drives, if only one is about to break.

Any help on these would be greatly appreciated.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: RAID question
    « Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 09:07:52 PM »
    Is the RAID configured thru your motherboard bios or is it a Windows Software configured RAID? If motherboard configured, what is the make/model # of motherboard?

I had a similar SMART failure like you describe that doesnt show all the time and it was with 2 500GB Maxtor SATA drives that I was using also as RAID 1. Because I was running RAID 1 as exact mirror I ended up just running them until the one that failed died for good... such as it wouldnt spin up. In the end I found out that the early Maxtor 500GB SATA drives ran hot even idling, and the problem was that sandwiched together in the case there was a heat build up and that was the cause for the SMART failures which lead to the 1 of 2 drives crashing. I also would hear strange noises coming from my tower a day or so before that 1 drive died for good. Sounded like a metallic ping noise, which when I opened the case was coming from one of the 2 at the time that I wasnt able to distinguish. When that drive died it was burning hot as well as the other same drive next to it. Felt like you could roast an egg on it. Ended up decomissioning this 500GB drive as a vital drive and retired it to occasional external drive usage for moving large files between systems. And with the 500GB that roasted, Maxtor's warranty expired on it, but when Seagate bought out Maxtor, Seagates warranty then applied to Maxtor products with longer replacement warranty and so I shipped it back for a brand new Seagate Refurb 500GB that is almost 1/2 as thick as the other drive and runs cool and quiet.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 09:46:20 PM »
    Question #1...Yes you can add additional HDD's outside of your RAID array and the will be seen as slave drives...
    Question #2... Smart monitoring can be turned off in the BIOS if it aggravates you with those messages...but to be certain it's not s HDD DLoad and run the Free diagnostics from the HDD manuf. site an run it on both RAID HDD's...

BTW that Smart error has been known to show up in systems setup as you currently have...
    Personally i would trust the HDD drive test results.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 12:36:04 PM »
      Is the RAID configured thru your motherboard bios or is it a Windows Software configured RAID? If motherboard configured, what is the make/model # of motherboard?

It is on the mother board a GF615M-P31 less than 3 months old. I am also getting bad block errors under system event viewer.
      SO I am pretty sure a drive is bad. Since I am in raid 1 I am assuming it writes and reads these blocks from the good drive.
      I went out and got 2 new SATA drives a WDC and Seagate, just so a future error should have the ST or WDC in the message.

I decide to replace both since I am not sure how old they are.

Thanks for your info.

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 12:40:48 PM »
        Question #1...Yes you can add additional HDD's outside of your RAID array and the will be seen as slave drives...
        Question #2... Smart monitoring can be turned off in the BIOS if it aggravates you with those messages...but to be certain it's not s HDD DLoad and run the Free diagnostics from the HDD manuf. site an run it on both RAID HDD's...

BTW that Smart error has been known to show up in systems setup as you currently have...
        Personally i would trust the HDD drive test results.

Great idea. I am replacing both since I see bad block errors also in system event viewer. Once I have them replaced I plan to run ms disk check first, run a format on them, I will try tio find Seagates disk check software and try it first.

My wifes computer has a small data disk that is running out of space so teh good drive is heading there.

Thnaks

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 12:43:32 PM »
        What is the reason you are running RAID-1?  If only for backup, there are better ways for home use.