Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Locating Drivers  (Read 3809 times)

Jahness

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
  • Experience: Expert
Locating Drivers
« on: October 08, 2011, 08:15:02 PM »
What ever happened to being able to locate drivers by just surfing the net? It seems like now every link takes you to downloading a driver search download that needs to be registered and bought. Is there truly a site that has drivers that don't require you to buy the program? I don't mind donating to a legit site buy I don't like being forced to buy a utility.

Thanks
John

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Locating Drivers
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 08:27:38 PM »
Always go to your manufacturer site to download drivers. I would never trust any third party software that requires me to pay for free drivers...
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 10:02:37 PM »
Drivers are free from the manufacturer.

Anyone that charges you for drivers is ripping you off.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

TheShadow

Hopeful

• Retiree in Florida
    • Yes
    • The Doctor
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 09:26:37 AM »
Being in the PC repair business, I have to search for various drivers quite often and it's become almost epidemic that wherever I go I wind up downloading Driver Guide or some other PAID Software.

I recently tried to find drivers for a Gateway PC and there were only one set of drivers on their web page, for the model I have.
Well, they were 100% WRONG and did not match the motherboard in this PC.  Possibly, the motherboard had been changed after-market or Gateway had just put in a different motherboard and never listed the proper driver package for it.

Anyway, I went back to my own Driver archives and found every driver I needed.  Most were from 'Realtec'.

So I do have a lot of sympathy for anyone having trouble finding the proper drivers for their PC.

That's one reason, that I sometimes spend HOURS saving a PC rather than just reformatting it and starting over.

Good Luck Mate!
The Shadow  8)
Experience is truly the best teacher.
Backup! Backup! Backup!  Ghost Rocks!

Jahness

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 06:01:55 PM »
I always go to the manufacture first. I was working on a Sony RS720G and was able to locate all of the drivers on their site with the exception of the TV Tuner card. EXTREMELY irresponcible on Sonys part to not list it in the original list with everything else since it was original with the computer. I was able to locate it only by removing it from the machine and search all the info provided on the card. I just remember years ago when locating drivers was much easier.

John