Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Here are all the problems with my computer as of October 6, 2011. Please help!!  (Read 6995 times)

Jack Catalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner

I was the person who posted about how Windows would freeze up all the time and I would have no sound coming out of Realplayer etc. Well, heres an update. I have sound but I have to start in Realplayer to get it, otherwise, there is no sound. Now as far as Windows goes, what I did was a couple of things. First, I disabled a few add-ons which helped me out. Second, I upgraded internet explorer from IE 8 to IE 9. When I did those two things, my computer was fixed or so I thought.

The real only problem now is that everyday Windows is telling me to install new updates and whether I should restart the computer in 10 mins, 1 hr. or 4 hrs. Well everytime I try to install new updates, it says that I failed. Windows couldnt install the updates. This happens EVERYDAY !!! Also the microsoft fix-it center which helped me with the computer problems I mentioned above doesnt open. What should I do?

Also, I should point out that some of my history is gone from today as well and I dont know why. Its also freezing a little bit but not as bad as before.
    I have Malware Bytes Anti-Malware. I also have Norton Security Suite. I use the Norton Firewall to protect my computer. Theres a lot here but here are some of them:

Update for Windows Vista (KB2607712)
    Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2536276)
    Update Rollup for ActiveX Killbits for Windows Vista  (KB2570791)
    Update for Windows Vista (KB2570791)
    Update for Windows Mail Junk E-Mail Filter (Aug.2011) (KB905866)
    Update for Windows Vista (KB2563227)
    Security Update for Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0 SP2
    Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2556532)
    Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2563894)

Those are some of the updates that when I try to install them, they dont work. It says to install, so I do. I restart the computer and it says the updates were not configured and windows couldnt install the updates.

I tried disabling Norton Firewall for 15 mins. and used Windows Firewall but it was no dice. The updates still are not installed right. Also, thanks to me, windows defender is gone. Everytime I try to open up Windows Defender it says "Application failed to initialize 0x80070006. The handle is invalid." What does that mean? Maybe thats the reason why the updates are not working?

I went to check my browsing history to see what sites Ive been on and there was nothing there. It shows the history from 1,2 and 3 weeks ago fine, that hasnt disappeared yet, all the sites Ive been on are not shown. Can someone please help me?

Heres what happened when I looked up Windows Update and Windows Installer. For Windows Update, I changed the startup type to manual. Windows Installer's startup type was already manual. Is this what I should have done? What should I do next?

I tried the link above and I thought it worked but it didnt. What should I do now? Now I see on my computer that I have low disk space. Well, I clean my disk space from Disk D about 5 or 6 times now and theres nothing left to delete.
    So what should I do about the failing windows updates and the disk space problem?

I tried your link that you gave me and it doesnt work as I still have low disk drive. Can you please tell me about the used space on each partition? What does that mean? I actually think I posted it somewhere already. If your talking about what I think your talking about, I posted it in the post that I started "My computer is fixed...sort of".

When I clicked on the link Microsoft Fix It came up. I let them handle any problems I had. They said everything was ok and I had to restart the computer to install the updates. When I restarted the computer, it said the samething I had before, that the Windows Update were not configured. I think I hit restore and nothing has changed. It still says I have low disk space on Drive D. I have deleted everything I could from Drive D.

The recycle bin is empty. I have C, D and E. I do a disk cleanup and I choose either between Disk C or D. I choose C obviously. Now I have deleted some files. I hope this works now. I deleted Recycle Bin stuff, downloaded program files and a couple of other things, which Im not sure of.

I ask this because Im still having the same problem with Windows Update and Drive D. My computer keeps saying that the Windows Updates are not installed correctly and that I have to free up space on disk D.

Now I have tried Disk Defragmenter but I dont know if Im doing it right. When it says defragment now, I do that to all the disks, yet I still have the same problems. What should I do?

Drive D appears on my screen. It says that Im low on disk drive space on disk D. Theres a picture of a disk at the bottom of the screen. I mean Ive deleted files from C,D,E etc. I dont know what else to delete.

Im very sorry if this seems long and I rambled on and I repeated myself. Im sure some of you guys know my problems by heart by now. So if you can help me, I'd appreciate it. I dont know what all this means above. The stuff that I posted above, I really dont understand it, so if you can help me with any of these problems, I would deeply appreciate it. Thank you.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Considering all the problems you are experiencing, have you considered reinstalling Windows Vista?
    What is the make & model number of this computer?
    If it did not come with DVD's or CD's the Windows Restore Partition is probably already on the hard drive.  If so, you can take the computer back to Day #1 Status (when it was shipped), in probably less than 1 hr.  You will lose all your files & subsequent installed programs, so make backups for all your personal files.

Jack Catalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Well for now, can you help me try to get my history back. In other words, I would like to look at my browsing history and see the websites and web pages that I have been on. It was ok until earlier today  and now the websites/web pages are not showing up on my browsing history.

Also, at the bottom of the screen it shows a little disk and it says "Low disk space". And almost all the time, it says that Im losing disk space on disk D and to free up disk space on disk D. The thing is, Ive done that already. What else is there to do? Ive tried system restore and it doesnt work. It says that I have an error or something. I mean I let system restore do the job. It shuts down my computer, restarts it, and it says there was a problem and the changes, the windows updates etc. dont change.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      Internet History gets deleted after a period of time has elapsed.
      Or you may have configured:  "Delete browsing history on exit".
      You can't get it back.
      Now, answer my questions.

Jack Catalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

I have a Windows Vista computer. Compaq FS7600e 17" Flat-Screen CRT Monitor.
        Manufacturer: Acer
        Model: Aspire M3100
        Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.30 GHz
        Memory (RAM):2.00 GB
        System Type: 32-bit Operating System

Is that good enough?

Also, as far as the browsing history goes, I didnt check off "Delete browsing history on exit". All of a sudden it was fine and now it wont keep my browsing history. As far as my history getting deleted after a period of time, I had internet history for about 27 weeks and it wasnt deleted and now I only have history from about a week or two ago and that got deleted? ???

Computer_Commando

Hacker

Jack Catalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Well, I tried your link. To tell you the truth, the computer is worse now than ever.  :(Ive lost everything. I have no browsing history. All my files-documents, videos are gone. My Norton Anti Virus is gone. :( I dont even think Im in Internet Explorer 9 anymore.  :(I think it went back to IE 7. Is there anyway I can get my browsing history back? What about my files, my videos, anything?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          Might be a time to backup all your important data and do a wipe and a clean install...

Keep in mind i rarely suggest this...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Jack Catalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Might be a time to backup all your important data and do a wipe and a clean install...

How would I do that? I thought I already did.

Quantos

Guru
            • Veni, Vidi, Vici
              • Yes
              • Yes
            • Experience: Guru

I agree with Patio on this advice. 
            And it truly is a rare event, I think that the Mayans may have predicted this one...
            Evil is an exact science.

Jack Catalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Like I said, how would I do that?

Also, I think I backed up my files. Can I try that to get my files back?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              Well, I tried your link. To tell you the truth, the computer is worse now than ever.  :(Ive lost everything. I have no browsing history. All my files-documents, videos are gone. My Norton Anti Virus is gone. :( I dont even think Im in Internet Explorer 9 anymore.  :(I think it went back to IE 7. Is there anyway I can get my browsing history back? What about my files, my videos, anything?

Like I said, how would I do that?

Also, I think I backed up my files. Can I try that to get my files back?
              I don't understand what you are referring to.  If you used eRecovery, everything is gone forever & you did not following instructions given in the link provided.
              Note: These steps will return the system to the original factory installation including all factory installed drivers and applications.
              Back up all data prior to using this procedure.

Jack Catalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Ok, well how can I check to see if I backed up my files because Im 99% sure that I saved the files.

Jack Catalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Well, I contacted someone from Acer. They said I should call a local technican to see if I can get the files back.