Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop not responding/booting properly  (Read 2715 times)

lillydoll

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Beginner
    Laptop not responding/booting properly
    « on: October 11, 2011, 02:50:18 AM »
    I'm not sure if this should be in Hardware, or Windows, but it seems to be a hardware issue? so I thought I'd try here.

This is the problem

my system:

Windows 7
    Dell Inspiron 1545
    Service Pack 1
    Intel Core 2 duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20 GHz
    3.0 GB RAM
    64-bit Operating System

I use Avast antivirus and I do have a real windows CD.

The problem with my laptop is that it just isn’t responding. It’s really difficult to explain the problem because I’ve never encountered something like this before. The laptop will power on, will take an insanely long time to boot up, and then will just *stop* halfway through loading my desktop. The mouse will continue to move around the screen but if I click anything it won’t do anything. If I hover over whatever I had tried to open it does the “thinking” mouse graphic. If I try to use control – alt – delete it doesn’t do anything, and the keyboard Windows mouse doesn’t seem to work. However, pressing the “open CD tray” button works no problem, every time I push the button it pops out like nothing is wrong. The only way to turn off my computer at this point is forced shut down.

I’ve tried running it in safe mode, while it takes some time (it does the same thing as when not in safe mode, but doesn’t seem to get *stuck*) to boot up in safe mode, it eventually starts running. Everything but my sound seems to work in safe mode. I ran a virus check and came up with nothing. I tried to do a system restore to a previous save point, but some point during the restore it stopped working and I got a message it was unsuccessful.

The Microsoft help thing that pops up when I enter safe mode claims I should enable 1 program at a time to figure out the problem, but I don’t know the first thing about how to do that, and the problem still seems to persist in safe mode, just not as bad.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Laptop not responding/booting properly
    « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 05:35:23 AM »
    I suggest we rule out malware as a possible cause before we look elsewhere. Please follow the instructions in the following link and post your logs in the thread you create (NOT in this thread):
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html