Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problem with creating a forum  (Read 2980 times)

JoeKkerr

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    problem with creating a forum
    « on: October 12, 2011, 12:40:18 AM »
    hello guys,

i decided to create a small forum for learning php ,i got this tutorial from google search
    i tried it..works like charm the only problem is when creating a category it gives out a blank page..can somebody please sort it out !  8)

As soon as i learn php i am gonna try creating a small social networking script  :-\
    Some people like my advice so much that they frame it on wall instead of using it !

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: problem with creating a forum
    « Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 02:53:49 AM »
    You'd be better off using SMF or phpBB to get started, especially when it comes to learning PHP.

JoeKkerr

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 03:25:37 AM »
       :) I appreciate your suggestion....but i wanted "my own forum" rather than using SMF or PHPBB ...coz there are no mods that fulfill my requirements for these forums

PS: could you please tell me how can i learn from these forums? like examples and all  :-*
      Some people like my advice so much that they frame it on wall instead of using it !

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 03:52:18 AM »
      coz there are no mods that fulfill my requirements for these forums
      Create your own. :)

could you please tell me how can i learn from these forums? like examples and all
      Just look at the different functions and the file structure, install a few mods manually without using the package manager and get used to the code.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      « Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 04:03:55 AM »
      If you want to do it yourself, this would be my recommended learning path: Learn PHP first, to a reasonable standard.  Then read about MVC.  Then learn to program in PHP using the development framework CodeIgniter.  Having done that, you can use something like FuelCMS to do anything you can imagine.

I would differ from kpac: if I were learning PHP, I would find SMF or phpBB a very intimidating place to start.  I would recommend building up the complexity gradually and learning some good programming techniques.  If you try to build it from scratch without these disciplines, you will more likely than not end up with a system that is extremely difficult to maintain in the future.  That's just the voice of painful experience speaking...  :-/
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos