Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: saving drivers b4 reformat  (Read 2839 times)

josmit2005

saving drivers b4 reformat
« on: September 04, 2005, 08:38:44 PM »
 ???
I'm about to reformat 2 computers - a cleansweep of a win98 now to winxp, and the other with a corrupt winxp starting again. Is there a way on both of these units to copy all the installed drivers, then do the reformat, and then reload these copied drivers. How do I do this, and in what folder are they located. Thanks for your help.

yourfateissealed

Re: saving drivers b4 reformat
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 09:07:23 PM »
for some reason...I don't think that is possible ???

Mac

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 02:53:23 AM »
The Win XP CD usually has most of the necessary drivers, or you already know that you need to copy them?

Mac

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 02:55:19 AM »
If you click on the XP INFO link below you can take a compatability test at PC Pitstop which may assist you to take the right course of action.

josmit2005

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 07:34:39 AM »
 :-/  Thanks guys. both of these comps belong to a friend and I said I'd do a favour and get them running right. Installing winxp is the first step. But of course he doesn't have any of the original drivers - ie for the installed sound and graphics cards etc - not worried about printers and stuff because as you say xp has most of these. i'm just worroied that I'm going to get stuck never getting his graphics and sound working after cleansweep instal.

Mac

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 07:51:26 AM »
Well there is this http://www.driverguidetoolkit.com

I would make a drive image of the '98 installation so you can always restore it to as it was condition.

Click the link below for more info.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 10:10:40 PM »
I agree. Driver Guide Toolkit is the way to go. You get a limited use, which will be more than enough for your purposes.