Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB ports fail to work, now fails to boot up.  (Read 2599 times)

LSA2013

Topic Starter

Starter

• Blue Screen of Death is blue.
    • My Youtube channel.
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
USB ports fail to work, now fails to boot up.
« on: October 13, 2011, 04:40:24 PM »
For about a year now, our desktop computer's USB ports have not worked. One day while my dad was using the computer, I connected my iPod to the computer. At that point, all USB ports failed to function. We had a wireless mouse, webcam, and flash drive plugged in. The iPod connector cord is never taken out of the computer.  All the USB hubs are fine according to the computer. I'd love to give you specs, but this is where I encountered my second problem.

2 days ago, I finally decided to report the problem (somewhere else). When I went to turn on my computer, it froze at the screen that says Windows XP with the little blue bars loading thing (I've heard it called a splash screen). And when I go to reboot it in any Safe Mode or Lask Known Good Config, it stops loading at this file:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys

The processor simply stops making sounds. I left the computer on overnight once and it still hadn't loaded past that file.
I will be starting a class that focuses on Repair and Support on Monday, Oct. 24 so when I get more or better info, I'll update this post.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.
‎"I'm not competitve! In fact, I'm the least competitive person ever, so THERE!" -Peter Griffin

I'm a HS junior, attending a tech prep school for Computer Repair and Support. Well I have to go to 2 other classes first, next year I study that class all year. The course level is apparently for a college freshman.

I have 2 computers of my own (both desktops) and a school leased laptop. I'll probably be on here more for help and learning rather than assisting, so keep that in mind.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Experience: Expert
Re: USB ports fail to work, now fails to boot up.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 05:39:20 PM »
What the 1st issue (USB) has in common with the 2nd issue (Mup.sys) is the power supply (PSU).  While it's hung, can you measure the voltages on a spare molex connector?  USB needs +5VDC.
http://www.helpwithpcs.com/courses/power-supply-basics-inc-pinouts.htm

LSA2013

Topic Starter

Starter

• Blue Screen of Death is blue.
    • My Youtube channel.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 05:58:07 PM »
1. I don't know where I could obtain one of those, and I'm unsure of what to do if I should happen to get one...
2. Just for closure purposes, why would the USB ports fail then, when I've had all 7 being used at once (but only for about 2 minutes)?
‎"I'm not competitve! In fact, I'm the least competitive person ever, so THERE!" -Peter Griffin

I'm a HS junior, attending a tech prep school for Computer Repair and Support. Well I have to go to 2 other classes first, next year I study that class all year. The course level is apparently for a college freshman.

I have 2 computers of my own (both desktops) and a school leased laptop. I'll probably be on here more for help and learning rather than assisting, so keep that in mind.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 06:18:26 PM »
1. I don't know where I could obtain one of those, and I'm unsure of what to do if I should happen to get one...
2. Just for closure purposes, why would the USB ports fail then, when I've had all 7 being used at once (but only for about 2 minutes)?
1.  You'll probably learn how to use a multimeter in school.  You can get a cheap one for less than $5 from Harbor Freight.
2.  The same 5V feeds all USB ports.  USB devices need the 5V to function.  5V needs to be +4.75 V to +5.25 V