Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Kids Lenovo Died BOOTMGR Missing?  (Read 5284 times)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Kids Lenovo Died BOOTMGR Missing?
    « on: October 15, 2011, 07:51:09 AM »
    Thank you for having a look at my problem today.

I have a friend (yeah I know, very unlikely isn't it) who's Lenovo "S10e" ideapad, notebook, was working fine for the past 2 years, however, now it comes up with "BOOTMGR" is missing?? and will not start at all.

I dont know much of the history, other than to say, I am told it that it has Windows Vista? or 7 as the O/S. Although looking at the labels I think it may be XP.

His school tech said, the best thing to do with it, is to wipe it and start again.

The label on the front says it was designed for XP, and has an Intel sticker with "ATOM" on it also.
    On the rear it has the Product key code for windows on the authenticity sticker.

It does not have a CD drive but has 2 USB ports available and an internet connection port.

The lad may have loaned it to someone else when it all went belly up, but I am uncertain as to how it all came about.

Is there something that can be done to fix this little computer and how might I be able to help him with this problem?
    Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Kids Lenovo Died BOOTMGR Missing?
    « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 08:30:23 AM »
    Wipe it and start again? Not when you have important data on it...
    Would it be possible to take the hard drive out, slave it to a desktop computer, and make a backup of the data first? This is a Vista/7 computer-this "BOOTMGR" error only occurs on Vista/7.
    This is how to fix your error:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/fixing-bootmgr-is-missing-error-while-trying-to-boot-windows-vista/
    You can convert an ISO of a Windows Vista/7 install DVD to USB bootable format like this:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/installing-windows-7-on-a-netbook
    http://www.techmixer.com/install-windows-vista-from-bootable-usb-flash-memory-drive/
    It would be ideal if you could ascertain whether Vista or 7 is installed.
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • The wonders of modern technology.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 05:26:29 AM »
      Thank you for your reply Transfusion. I really don't want to do a lot on it.. Its not mine and I don't want to "accidentally destroy it".
      I'll wipe it and put the O/S from the disk I was given,( it might be an XP disc, but hey, that's what I was given.) but also I don't think there is a lot of info on it that is wanted at this point. Just some games and so on. It is the end of the year, so no school work.

It would be ideal if you could ascertain whether Vista or 7 is installed.
      Just how might I go about finding this part out , it doesn't go past "boot manager is missing."

Is it in the F2 setup somewhere?

The recommended sites are much the same, Transfusion. They all assume that you can enter the computer and run it as normal and have the windows 7 CD or similar.

Unfortunately I don't . He doesn't and I'm not sure if the techy at school is willing to use their copy or CD to put an operating system on it for him.

So where to from here?
      Thanks ImnoGuru.
      It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 06:26:32 AM »
      Just how might I go about finding this part out , it doesn't go past "boot manager is missing."

Is it in the F2 setup somewhere?

The recommended sites are much the same, Transfusion. They all assume that you can enter the computer and run it as normal and have the windows 7 CD or similar.
      I had to fix my Windows 7 "bootmgr is missing" error a couple of days ago after I made the mistake of choosing the wrong drive to overwrite the MBR while creating an Ubuntu startup USB drive. The Windows 7 and Vista bootloaders are the same-I borrowed a friend's Vista Setup DVD (which by the way, was an OEM HP disc) and launched Startup repair from the disc, and followed the instructions here:
      http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/fixing-bootmgr-is-missing-error-while-trying-to-boot-windows-vista/
      without any issues.
      No you don't need to boot into Windows and "run it as normal", you just have to be able to boot from the setup DVD/USB drive to fix your problem. One thing's for sure-you'll require a Vista/7 setup disc to be able to fix this problem... but seeing as you already have an XP setup disc on hand and have trouble finding one you might as well wipe the laptop. Be sure to install a good antivirus program when you are finished.
      In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
      Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none