Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP Media Center Edition just started running slow  (Read 6001 times)

amweaver

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    XP Media Center Edition just started running slow
    « on: October 15, 2011, 05:31:51 PM »
    I have a Compaq Presario SR1650NX  With Windows XP 2002  Service Pack 3, Media Center Edition,  2500 GB Hard Drive, 1.0 GB Memory,  AMD Athalon 64 Processor. My antivurs software is PC Tools.
    I reformatted 3 months ago and it was running fine until 3 days ago. I have removed all unnecessary programs from start up and have run disk cleaner and defrag. All windows programs and Internet 7 are running VERY slow.

The System Information I pulled up on this site shows that I need to update Flash, Quick Time and Windows Media player Plugins.

Would this be the reason the system is running so slowly?  Do you need any additonal info to help me?

Thanks for anything you can do to help.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: XP Media Center Edition just started running slow
    « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 07:15:22 PM »
    I would back up your data to an external HD or burn it and then perform a clean install from the restore CD if you still have it. See if the system runs nice and fast when back to original factory build. Then perform updates and keep track of performance. You might find as I did that the jump from SP2 to SP3 is when you see a big dip in performance.

I ended up rebuilding mine and keeping it at SP2. ( Although running in SP2 mode, made this system vulnerable to hacks etc, so I never used it for banking etc.)

I had an Athlon 64 not that long ago and had to retire it because it was becoming painfully slow and unable to play the games I wanted to play with it. I did get some better performance by installing an AGP Video Card into the available expansion slot so that of the 1GB Ram I had similar to yours 2x512mb sticks, that the onboard video would shut off and so the shared memory would go back to the system to use. But the 8x AGP GeForce 6200 with 256MB Video Ram only bought about another year of use out of the system until the game I play the most WoW with Cataclysm Expansion would crawl at 6 frames per second. My OS was XP Pro SP2 since SP3 brought the browser and system to a crawl at 1GB Ram. I also was using the microsoft security essentials antivirus which is free and not a resource hog like Norton and McAfee.

Also your HD size appears to be a typo... thinking maybe its 250GB and not 2.5 TB. My system I had a 300GB SATA drive in it, but it was the old SATA which is 1.5gbps instead of 3.0 gbps. The origian drive my Compaq Presario came with was 80GB IDE, but the motherboard had two SATA 1.5 connectors, so I upgraded for better performance.

amweaver

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
      I actually did the clean install when I reformatted on July 26th. I really didn't understand the rest of what you were saying   other than the hard drive is 250GB  got that right off the computer. I just don't understand why it suddenly slowed down after such a short time. Unless playing some games on facebook could cause this I would really like to find out what's causing the problem.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 11:16:41 PM »
      The first thing I notice was you have 1 gig of RAM. On XP, that would suffice unless how heavy or simultaneous you open or use certain programs that the computer can handle. Slow could either be in hardware or software. Have you tried running safemode to check the difference?

amweaver

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 12:09:26 AM »
        No I haven't tried safe mode yet.  How difficult is it to add additional RAM? And how expensive is it?

Thanks!

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 12:22:31 AM »
        Try safemode first. Is it slow just opening a particular or a single program only? Make sure you only run one antivirus, one firewall. Any other additional protection softwares installed?

amweaver

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 05:55:25 PM »
           ;D ;D
          I ran the scan disk and then started up in safe mode. It seems to be running faster now - not quite what it was before - but much better!  Thank you so much for you help --