Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: COM port changing  (Read 2887 times)

helizone

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    COM port changing
    « on: October 15, 2011, 09:00:23 PM »
    Can someone please explain why my com port changes from com port 1 to com port 3 or none when I have not physically changed it myself? Thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: COM port changing
    « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 10:22:32 PM »
    Welcome!
    Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
    The forum will help everyone with all computer questions.

First of all, I have never heard of that. The BIOS sets the COM vectors when the PC starts up. There is no good reason for a program to alter the vectors.

But more detail is needed to answer your question fully. The model # of you PC and the OS you are using. And why are you using a COM port? Nowadays everything is USB.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    « Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 11:47:35 PM »
    Where did you see this information?

helizone

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 12:03:49 AM »
      Well, my OS is XP and my computer is in an office used for managing a security gate . The mangement software controls  a system controller thru a serial port. There is a device server at a remote site to control the security gate which has an IP address. It has always worked fine until recently when the com port keeps changing from com 1 to com 3 and sometimes to none. I can set it to com 1 in the morning and everything works fine,but by afternoon it changes to com 3. Of course this causes the communication to the gate to stop which is not good. I set it back to com 1 and it works fine again for hours and maybe days,but eventually it switches to either com 3 or to none. I wish I could lock it to com 1. This would solve the problem.
      Just a thought,maybe I should try a serial to USB cable adapter? Any thoughts???????

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 12:44:14 AM »
      I am not sure if for Win XP, COM Ports 3 is the default under port settings tab in Device manager. It will display what is currently in use. There is a resource tab option to check/uncheck use automatic settings. Have you tried toggling this?