Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why is Twitter so slow?  (Read 14750 times)

Jack Catalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
    Why is Twitter so slow?
    « on: October 17, 2011, 10:09:27 PM »
    I know I should probably ask Twitter about this but I figured you guys would know. Look, I apologize very much in advance, but I dont what this is, but the place where I type in the webpages, well, when I type in the twitter webpage, the webpage is highlighted in light green. Also, theres a masterlock on the webpage as well. The twitter webpage comes up but its very slow. What do you think the problem is?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Why is Twitter so slow?
    « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 01:52:31 AM »
    More detail is needed.
    Is this your home computer or a PC in a public place like a school or library?
    Do you have a Twitter account? Do you have friends on Twitter? Did it work last month, but now it does not?
    The site:
    http://twitter.com/
    Loads very quickly.
    You can do start >run>cmd>
    and at the dos screen type ping twitter.com
    your should get a ping of about 50ms more more or less.

Doug

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 09:04:07 AM »
    If my pings are almost double that for popular sites is there something I should lookat in my setup?  Basically, when I install things I just do enough to get them working (really all I can do).  i.e. router.  The quickest I saw was Youtube.com at average of 32ms.  I guess that means my computer is capable but maybe the sites are busy?

immental1200

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 09:18:54 AM »
    If my pings are almost double that for popular sites is there something I should lookat in my setup?  Basically, when I install things I just do enough to get them working (really all I can do).  i.e. router.  The quickest I saw was Youtube.com at average of 32ms.  I guess that means my computer is capable but maybe the sites are busy?
    [/quote

Or your internet speed is slow?
    http://speedtest.net - Use that, and link back the results with the "share" button.

Doug

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 02:34:34 PM »
    ...............http://www.speedtest.net/result/1542445126.png.........................

Jack Catalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 07:36:06 PM »

More detail is needed.
      Is this your home computer or a PC in a public place like a school or library?
      Do you have a Twitter account? Do you have friends on Twitter? Did it work last month, but now it does not?
      The site:
      http://twitter.com/
      Loads very quickly.
      You can do start >run>cmd>
      and at the dos screen type ping twitter.com
      your should get a ping of about 50ms more more or less.

The computer I have is my home computer and its been slow for a while now. I also have a twitter account. The thing is that it works its just slower now. I clicked the link you gave me and its the same. Slow and highlighted green.

Jack Catalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 09:02:23 PM »
        Ive noticed something. When Im not on Twitter, my computer is a little faster. Now I did try what Geek-9pm said about ping twitter.com. Now is that it? Should I do anything else?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 09:40:50 PM »
        The ping verifies the basic connection response time.. About 50ms is typical. But that does not guarantee there are not problems. Just confirms basic connectivity is there.
        Other things may retard we page speed could be:
        The browser may not have the right plugs-ins to show an element.
        A firewall that is set to high and slows down certain elements of a web page.
        An Anti-Virus program that is falsely finding issues on the web page.
        A deliberate attempt to impair your twitter experience. Who would do that?
        Maybe your local ISP does not like twitter. It may be on some kind of 'gray list'.

There are other possibilities. Do yo0u have another PC in the house with the very same problem? Do your neighbors have the same problem on twitter?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 09:44:49 PM »
        Twitter uses AJAX to show new tweets by those you follow. If your browser isn't very good with scripts or you are loaded with add-ons, javascript might be a tad slow, particularly how Twitter uses it.

That said, I've not noticed it running slower that normal lately.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Jack Catalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 09:58:17 PM »
          The ping verifies the basic connection response time.. About 50ms is typical. But that does not guarantee there are not problems. Just confirms basic connectivity is there.
          Other things may retard we page speed could be:
          The browser may not have the right plugs-ins to show an element.
          How do I figure out if the browser has the right plug-ins?

A firewall that is set to high and slows down certain elements of a web page.
          Now I checked Windows Firewall and Norton Firewall and there both fine. There are no problems with either one of them.

An Anti-Virus program that is falsely finding issues on the web page.
          Where would I find the Anti-Virus program? When I go on twitter, the homepage comes up and thats it. There are now warnings or nothing saying theres a problem with the web page.

A deliberate attempt to impair your twitter experience. Who would do that?
          Maybe your local ISP does not like twitter. It may be on some kind of 'gray list'.
          I dont know about the ISP but this is the only site this is happening on. If you look at the first post of this thread, I also mention that the webpage is highlighted in light green and a masterlock on the webpage as well. 

There are other possibilities. Do yo0u have another PC in the house with the very same problem? Do your neighbors have the same problem on twitter?

I dont have another computer in the house but I do have another user on the computer. Theres one thats Jack and another thats Jack Catalano. The reason why I have 2 users who are the same person on one computer goes back to the whole eRecovery thing that I mentioned in another post.  I dont know about the neighbors having the same problem.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 10:08:06 PM »
          Can you possibly get a screen shot of the Twitter page a post it here as an attach meant. I think your router has a parental control set to prevent you from getting into twitter, but can not be sure until I see the page and have some info about then router.
          You can use the print screen and paint to capture a screen shot. Or you favorite photo editor. Just paste or paste as new image.Or screen capture, or however the photo editor does it on your PC.

EDIT: I forgot. You are using Vista, Right? And you do not have full administrative rights on your PC. The problem is with somebody else that uses that computer.

You may wish to move this post to the family counseling forum.
            ::)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Set-up-Parental-Controls

Not likely the router. Sorry.

Jack Catalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 02:13:59 PM »
            Can you possibly get a screen shot of the Twitter page a post it here as an attach meant. I think your router has a parental control set to prevent you from getting into twitter, but can not be sure until I see the page and have some info about then router.
            You can use the print screen and paint to capture a screen shot. Or you favorite photo editor. Just paste or paste as new image.Or screen capture, or however the photo editor does it on your PC.

EDIT: I forgot. You are using Vista, Right? And you do not have full administrative rights on your PC. The problem is with somebody else that uses that computer.

You may wish to move this post to the family counseling forum.
              ::)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Set-up-Parental-Controls

Not likely the router. Sorry.

I dont know how to post an attachment or use print screen or anything. But the thing is that I dont have parental controls. I clicked on your link and followed the instructions on the link and it finds out that Im the administrator of the computer. The only person that uses the computer is me.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 05:02:11 PM »
            That said, I've not noticed it running slower that normal lately.

Did you happen to notice this from BC's Post above ? ?
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Jack Catalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 07:44:34 PM »
              You know I must have missed that part but I did read that part. When I go to Manage Add-Ons, heres what I have:

Add-Ons currently loaded in Internet Explorer

Enabled (9)

AcroIEHlprObj Class
              Norton Toolbar
              Real Player Download
              Research
              Send to OneNote
              Symantec Intrusion Prevention
              Symantec NCO BHO
              Yahoo! Toolbar Helper
              Yahoo! Toolbar

Now what should I do? Should I disable one or more of those 9 I mentioned above? Which ones should I disable?

immental1200

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 08:14:14 AM »
              You know I must have missed that part but I did read that part. When I go to Manage Add-Ons, heres what I have:

Add-Ons currently loaded in Internet Explorer

Enabled (9)

AcroIEHlprObj Class
              Norton Toolbar
              Real Player Download
              Research
              Send to OneNote
              Symantec Intrusion Prevention
              Symantec NCO BHO
              Yahoo! Toolbar Helper
              Yahoo! Toolbar

Now what should I do? Should I disable one or more of those 9 I mentioned above? Which ones should I disable?

Disable ALL of them, unless you use norton AV
              If you use norton AV, then leave the symantec + norton ones.