Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: laptop wont bootup.  (Read 3353 times)

ivanoe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    laptop wont bootup.
    « on: September 25, 2011, 04:26:34 AM »
    Morning i have a refurbished  Dell d520 laptop,i have had it about 12 months and it as been running fine.(although little slow ) i have a 512 memory card in.
    a friend gave me a new 1gb card so i changed it over.into the            A dimm          slot under the keyboard. but i forgot to take out the battery.(DOPE.)when i turn it on i just get flashing lights for a while,i/e 30 secs then every thing go's off the power light comes on ok but the battery light just flashes about every 30secs.
    i have tried it with the battery in/out also with the power adapter from electrics in/out.i have taken the battery out and unplugged from mains.then pressed the
    on/off button for 20/30secs,still no joy have i made a mess of it.or is there a chance it can be revived .hope you can help.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: laptop wont bootup.
    « Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 05:04:09 AM »
    Maybe the 1GB memory module is the wrong type for your Dell Latitude D520 laptop.
    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Latitude%20D520&Cat=RAM

JonnyAlpha

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 06:54:30 AM »
      If you put the 312MB MEm back in what happens?

blindhelpfultech

Beginner
      • Nadia
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 01:18:29 PM »
      I do not think you have enough ram. Or if you took it out, try putting it back in the ram the right way. If a computer does not boot sometimes you put in the hardware wrong. 
      Great learders know they don't know everything and that is OK to say they have no idea. Doing that they will allow them to not knowing is not a problem, it leaves you to be open minded to learn from others It is OK to ask for detail and learn from those that as we are are all new at something and have our skill set.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 12:36:46 AM »
      I do not think you have enough ram. Or if you took it out, try putting it back in the ram the right way. If a computer does not boot sometimes you put in the hardware wrong.

He was putting in more RAM than he had before. You can't put them in the wrong way. They're slotted to prevent that.

ivanoe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 04:34:10 AM »
          computer commando /Johnny Alpha/blindhelptech/Quaxo.   thanks all of you for your answers quaxo is right i have changed from 512 memory to 1gb.
        when i tried with the 512 back in i got nothing.as to it being the wrong type  i don't know never thought of that.i will check to make sure it is comaptible.

Canham

Rookie
          « Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 06:16:20 AM »
          Ok let's be logical here your laptopnworked fine then you changed the ram it didnt work so you changed the ram back and now even that doesn't work maybe it's Electro static discharge hence why you should ground yourself before changing things and hold the power button for a while to discharge the laptop.
          Share the knowledge!!!

luck of the irish

Intermediate
          « Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 04:48:10 PM »
          was it just dimm or sodimm? correct me if I am wrong, but you don't use DIMM in laptops, you use it in desktops, did you find it easy to place the ram, or did you have to apply force?

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 07:24:27 PM »
          was it just dimm or sodimm? correct me if I am wrong, but you don't use DIMM in laptops, you use it in desktops, did you find it easy to place the ram, or did you have to apply force?

He managed to get the RAM in, so it was a SODIMM. They are drastically different shapes, I'm sure even my dog could tell the difference.

Chances are it just wasn't compatible with his system, or the module is bad.

luck of the irish

Intermediate
          « Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 03:28:18 AM »
          but now his other SODIMM doesn't work, so it is unlikely it is a bad module.

ivanoe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
            « Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 12:17:55 AM »
            Morning all well i have tried every thing been on other forums got loads of advice .(some i dont understand)not that good on computers.other advice i followed but to no avail.by the way (luck of the Irish)i have downloaded the manual for my laptop and it clearly says;there are two slots for memory DIMM SLOT A/AND/ DIMM SLOT B.??  thought about a multimeter but not sure what to do with it.(keep the answers clean).also a dignostics card,what do you think.

ivanoe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
              « Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 04:29:48 AM »
              Morning to you all.Computer Commando/ Johnny Alpha/ BLindhelpfultech/ quaxo/ Canham??.  i am pleased to tell you,i have fixed my laptop . Quaxo was right i didn't have the memory stick in right.is was the right way but it wasn't seating right.i tried about 5 times ,but was afraid of pushing to hard .i tried one last time wiggled it about and pushed.it went in,tried the laptop and it lit up.so once again thanks to you all great job.

PS people like me (learners) need people like you.so keep on answering questions.