Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Acer Aspire 5920g - operating system  (Read 4283 times)

gia003

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Acer Aspire 5920g - operating system
    « on: October 18, 2011, 04:55:16 AM »
    Hi guys,
    I have an Acer Aspire 5920g with Vista.
    I would like to install an operating system that is light, fast (priority) and as stable as poss.
    Would you recommend W7 or XP for this pc?
    I will use it for stuff like chrome, skype, vlc, office (word and excel), megamanager, itunes and to play wow. No autocad or photoshop stuff.
    so XP or W7? can you tell me what are the advantages and disadvantages of having either of these 2 OS installed on this particular pc?
    thank you advance! ;)
    g.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Acer Aspire 5920g - operating system
    « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 08:28:51 AM »
    I'm not a gamer so I'm not sure how a particular OS would affect your game play.  Regarding the other computer usage you mentioned, I see no reason to change from Vista. 

For the benefit of continuing this discussion for everyone here in the forum, please state the basic hardware specs for your computer.

immental1200

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 09:14:18 AM »
    I'm not a gamer so I'm not sure how a particular OS would affect your game play.  Regarding the other computer usage you mentioned, I see no reason to change from Vista. 

For the benefit of continuing this discussion for everyone here in the forum, please state the basic hardware specs for your computer.

Windows 7 is much faster than vista, I had a few sluggish brand-new vista machines, installing windows 7 made them very fast.
    Gaming - So long as their are win 7 drivers for your graphics there might be a slight increase (vista drivers should work, but less stable and less performance)
    XP - I no longer use this at all, due to the difference in security between it and vista / 7.

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 09:25:58 AM »
    Windows 7 is much faster than vista, I had a few sluggish brand-new vista machines, installing windows 7 made them very fast.
    Well, I have a laptop computer, purchased in July 2007, with Vista, and I've never seen much need to upgrade to Windows 7 for "stuff like chrome, skype, vlc, office (word and excel)".   I have Windows 7 on another computer and it's my favorite OS but, again, Vista has worked fine on the laptop for Office 2007, web browsing, email, and some other non-gaming apps.

gia003

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 06:35:19 AM »
      HI Everyone,
      thanks for replies and sorry if I have not replied for so many days but having being travelling and moving out....
      I am a bit confused... someone says stay with vista others switch to W7.
      My pc specs:
      Intel core 2 duo processor T7300 (2.0 ghz, 800 mhz FSB, 4mb L2 cache)
      15.4 WXGA Acer CrystalBrite tim LCD (8ms / 220 nit)
      Up to 1024 MB nvidia GeForce 8600M GT TurboCache tim
      2gb DDR2
      802 11a/b/g WLAN
      I hope this is what immental asked to post...

Before this pc I had an hp with less ram and XP.
      By buying a more powerful pc and with a newer os I thoght I would have a faster and more powerful machine.... I was wrong it was slower, it felt like a dinosaur!
      Maybe in the meantime vista has got much better, otherwise i would happily switch to something that is more agile and faster...
      So stay with Vista or switch to W7?
      Thanks
      G.

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 08:14:17 AM »
      I am a bit confused... someone says stay with vista others switch to W7.
      Sure, you should not be surprised to get different opinions.  I don't understand the "dinosaur" comment; your laptop should be faster than mine.  But, since you felt that this computer felt like a dinosaur with Vista, I'll go along with immental1200 here with recommending Windows 7.