Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Precision 530 last RDRAM model 02/2002  (Read 2498 times)

yjacket2001

Dell Precision 530 last RDRAM model 02/2002
« on: October 20, 2011, 05:24:24 PM »
I think it is a hardware problem, but it may not be (?)
I have a Dell 530 with dual 280 GHz Intel processors with an Adaptec SCSI controller (biggest effectively for 32 bit I believe) 4932 or 3932?, dual cheetah 15K scsi's, and 4GB RDRAM. XP Pro version 3.

Every few years it acts up by showing 3 yellow lights on diagnosis and won't start up every time. Usually the fix is a new SCSI harddrive cable (because of cable ends loosen up) or my spysweeper is about to run out.

I got a new cable and a new ($2 off amazon) spysweeper and it worked for about a month. Now the 3 yellow lights (which code out to a new bios, which I checked my is still the latest version, or a mobo - hope not). Here is the sequence of events on the screen:
1. Dell bios processes,
2. Windows first dos screen processes,
3. The Adaptec runs through all 15 slots of both sides of card I think and it finds the one I am using for Raid 0.
4. Then it stops with the cursor blinking_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Also, recently it started up better in the summer with cool AC blowing vs. cool days without AC blowing. The new SCSI cable is a China special and does not seem to fit tight like they have in the past. Both of these factors may point to another cable from a more reputable (Country) manufacturer. But the sequence in where the start up screen stops may point to a new controller card. I just have one monitor, key board, and mouse hooked up to trouble shoot and it still does nothing. Please help.

I also have a Matrox AGP card, an MMS 4 way , and a dual video cards, so one of them may have gone out.

Not only do I not know how to trouble shoot the hardware, but now I have to find a way to get it started back up too.
Thanks!!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Dell Precision 530 last RDRAM model 02/2002
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 05:28:14 PM »
Replace the cable....

Then try swapping in a new PSU...see if that changes anything...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "