Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU 100% on startup, only fixed by viewing youtube videos  (Read 2834 times)

RDash

CPU 100% on startup, only fixed by viewing youtube videos
« on: October 21, 2011, 10:24:54 AM »
So I've got a very peculiar problem. I just installed windows XP on this computer a while ago, before I installed this though, I had the default XP Media Center Edition, this computer system was bought from the store so it had all the drivers and such pre-installed in the recovery OS.

I don't know how much info is relevant so I will put as much as possible, skim this paragraph if you want. I installed Defraggler by Piriform a while ago, while I had Media Center Edition, and it was taking forever to analyze the HD, I thought my computer froze, so I held the off button. When I tried to turn it back on it wouldn't go past the black screen after the blue boot screen, it had the "Safe Mode" "Safe Mode with Networking" "Start Normally" you know the default error screen. None of the options work and I tried them multiple times. The biggest problem was on the blue boot screen, it had <F10 System Recovery>, that usually worked flawlessly, but this time it didn't even open the System Recovery screen, so I thought I had some hard drive damage, which I confirmed I do through Error Checking and SeaTools (the official hard drive manufacturers error checking program) there is half of the hard drive 114GB taken up by no files at all, ever since I did a Error Checking through the default windows Error Checker, 114GB was occupied when I opened C:\ and highlighted everything even hidden folders it was only about 3GB taken up, so obviously there is damage to the hard drive, but it still works just fine for some reason.

On to this OS install. I used an XP install disk and installed it, I can't remember if this was always like this since the latest OS install, but whenever I turn my computer on the CPU hovers at 95% - 100% and it's unbearably slow. After an arduous time installing drivers for my Processor which didn't do anything, I opened YouTube to watch some videos, and it fixed the CPU problem. That is the only way to fix the high CPU problem from what I've found. I've tried running .SWF files through "flashplayer_11_sa_32bit.exe" which didn't do anything, I've tried playing .FLV videos from YouTube through VLC Player which didn't do anything. I've also tried uninstalling Adobe Flash and reinstalling that didn't do anything. It's a very peculiar problem indeed. I don't think it has to do with the hard drive damage because I don't think watching a YouTube video would fix something that severe. This is every time I turn my computer on it's at 100% CPU all the time, no matter how long I leave it on it stays at 100% CPU, ONLY IF I watch a YouTube video it fixes itself, that's the only solution I've found. And when I check the processes as to what is high, it's usually the most prominent process, first it's Yahoo Messenger when it's loading up, then Dropbox, and when I start any browser it's that browser at 99 CPU. So any help would be much appreciated as this is a big annoyance, and if I lose internet this computer is bunk which worries me because I'm moving soon so it's important to figure this out. I have the program Everest which finds your system specs so I've attached a report detailing basically everything about my hardware and software.

Here is a HTML version of the Everest Report, more legible to some perhaps http://www.mediafire.com/?pzh6jj8af7bstwp

Any and all help is highly appreciated, thank you for your time!

[regaining space - attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:46:25 AM by RDash »