Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: sony vaio pcv-rx660  (Read 4143 times)

rwalton311

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    sony vaio pcv-rx660
    « on: October 22, 2011, 09:09:16 AM »
    i'm trying to get this pc running,when i turn it on and try to access the recovery partion by hitting F10 is goes straight to a black screen where it lists the memory,drives and size of the drives and at the bottom is says hardware monitor found an error.enter power setup menu for details.and then it just stays on that screen.i tried resetting the default settings but it does the same thing. how do i get past this screen and get windows to load?
    this is a sony vaio pcv-rx660 with 1.80 intel pentium4 processor,m512 mb ram,80 gb ultra ata/100 harddrive running windows xp home

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: sony vaio pcv-rx660
    « Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 12:51:39 PM »
    How old is the computer?
    Has it been dropped?
    Possibly you or somebody else moved it and dropped it, This could dislodge the connections to some internal components.

Also, the CMOS cell may be dead. Replace it. http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

Do you have the manual?
    http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=PCVRX660&LOC=3&session_id=e700e2c2ebc6d0152d02b6f744c3e13e#/howtoTab

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 04:49:15 PM »
      What event(s) if any were coincident to this problem arising?You could start by removing or disconnecting all hardware not required for immediate use (optical drives/secondary HDD's/any external (other than keyboard/mouse/monitor) devices connected. All memory modules (ram) but one.If you are able to get the computer running after getting it to that state reintroduce items one at a time until/if a fault occurs.truenorth

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 07:58:43 PM »
      Sony Vaio pcv-rx660 Desktop does not have a recovery partition but a recovery disks. Do you mean booting from the disks? http://www.manualowl.com/m/Sony/PCV-RX660/Manual/62429

rwalton311

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 07:45:17 AM »
        actually the pc sat for probably 2 years before i plugged it in a few days ago
        What event(s) if any were coincident to this problem arising?You could start by removing or disconnecting all hardware not required for immediate use (optical drives/secondary HDD's/any external (other than keyboard/mouse/monitor) devices connected. All memory modules (ram) but one.If you are able to get the computer running after getting it to that state reintroduce items one at a time until/if a fault occurs.truenorth

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 08:44:37 AM »
        Replace the CMOS battery...Part # CR2032...available anywhere...
        As usual remove all poer 1st.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "