Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New HDD Failure After Replacing Old One  (Read 3580 times)

snuttman97

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    New HDD Failure After Replacing Old One
    « on: October 23, 2011, 11:10:33 AM »
    I recently experienced some problems with my computer. After running Dell and Norton diagnostics both came back as hard drive failure. I purchased a new hard drive and had a professional install it. I installed the OS and drivers from the Dell disks that came with my computer. The computer was running fine after installing Microsoft Office, QuickBooks and Norton, downloading Java, Adobe and Blackboard IM. Windows then performed a 104 MB update. When the computer was re-started it started a Windows Configuration. It only made it to 30% and then froze for over an hour. I restarted the computer and Windows was able to restart and complete the configuration. Once I was logged in to my computer Windows Explorer continually froze or was super slow. I restarted the computer and it will not start normally. It mandates that I launch system repair and takes me to the System Recovery Options. From the next screen I am only able to restore computer using a system image created earlier. It is not recognizing my computer as having an operating system and I cannot restore from a system image because there is none. I ran the diagnostics tools off of the Dell Driver and Utilities disk and from the Dell screen (F12). Both come back as telling me there is HDD errors.

I am wondering if the problem is really with my HDD or if it could be the motherboard or Windows itself.

My system is/has the following;

Dell Inspiron 570
    Windows 7
    New Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bullk/OEM - WD1002FAEx

I am familar with computers but I don't know a lot about the inner workings of them so please feel free to simplify replies  :)

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: New HDD Failure After Replacing Old One
    « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 11:47:51 AM »
    It shouldn't be a problem with Windows, seeing as you have already done a fresh install. Would it be possible to take the drive out, slave it to another computer, and run this tool so we can eliminate your PC being the problem?
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/Western-Digital-DLG-Diagnostics.shtml
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 11:51:16 AM »
    No reason to go thru all that if he DLoads the 1 that creates a bootable CD...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

snuttman97

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 12:24:18 PM »
      How do I download one that creates a bootable CD?

Samantha

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 01:40:50 PM »
      I am familar with computers but I don't know a lot about the inner workings of them so please feel free to simplify replies  :)
      New systems, like the old on es, still requires backups. Especially before you do an update.
      This is about XP SP2 to SP3,  but hoods true for any large update. Error recovery from a bad download is still a weakness in the Windows OS. MS recommends Backup before major update. This can even apply to Vista and Windows 7.
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

A new install from scratch should cure the problem.
      « Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 01:53:49 PM by Geek-9pm »

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 06:51:17 PM »
      ...I am wondering if the problem is really with my HDD or if it could be the motherboard or Windows itself.
      My system is/has the following;
      Dell Inspiron 570...
      Maybe needs a BIOS update.  Release Date:   2/16/2011
      Dell Insprion Desktop 570 system BIOS