Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot get past Advanced Boot Options  (Read 8647 times)

whathim

Topic Starter

Beginner

Cannot get past Advanced Boot Options
    « on: October 25, 2011, 06:27:44 AM »
    Dell Vostro running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3

My machine will only boot as far as the Advanced Boot Options screen.  I’m desperate to get it back working.

What happened:

I did Start>Turn Off Computer..>Turn Off as I always do at night.  In the morning I discovered the computer had not shut down.  The desktop was empty (ie. no desktop icons) and there was a box saying some program (didn’t note what it was) was not responding.  I clicked on the box’s terminate button.  Then the computer just sat there doing nothing so I turned it off at its power button, paused for a moment, and then pressed it again to boot the computer.  It booted to the “Advanced boot options” screen.  I tried all the boot options listed, including “Start Windows Normally”, “Last Known Good Configuration …”, and “Safe mode”.  All of them just return me to the same options page.

What I’ve tried:

I booted from the Dell XP install disk hoping to do a repair.  Following instructions on Dell’s support pages (and elsewhere), I got to the screen that should offer the repair option but it only gives the following options.

To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER
    To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C
    To delete the selected partition, press D.

The screen also lists items as follows.

476938 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on iastor (MBR)

-: Partition1 [FAT]      94 MB <84 MB free>
    C: Partition2 [Unknown]   476843 MB <476843 MB free>

Presumably it is not offering me a repair option because it is not recognising that XP is already there (hence the “Unknown” status).

I then rebooted from the CD and this time went into Recovery Console.  I get a C:\> prompt at the caret but when I enter “dir” I get “An error occurred during directory enumeration”.  I also tried doing “cd directory_name” using a directory name I know should exist but this too fails.

Then I ran a load of diagnostics.  Following instructions on Dell’s support pages I booted and pressed F12 which got me to what I think they call “One time boot menu”.  As per instructions I selected “Pre-boot System Assessment (PSA+)”.  This ran and said no problems and then took me into a graphics screen with several option buttons.  I ran “Test memory” and “Test system”.  This latter took me to another set of buttons.  I did “Express Test”.  This gave one message, “Error Code 0F00: 133C”, Msg: DISK – No suitable disk media is present” – I suspect this must be because at this stage I had no CD in the disk slot.

Then I selected “Symptom Tree”, which gave a set of tests under “Tests for cannot boot the OS”.  I ran all these tests and it got a green tick for every one – ran for hours into late evening.

Apologies for the long posting but I’ve tried to give a comprehensive account of what happened.  I’m desperate to get the machine back without having to do a fresh install and have all the hassle of reinstalling all software.  It seems such a trivial thing that caused the problem – surely just turning off the machine couldn’t have trashed the existing installation, could it?

Keith

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Cannot get past Advanced Boot Options
    « Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 04:25:57 PM »
    I then rebooted from the CD and this time went into Recovery Console.  I get a C:\> prompt at the caret but when I enter “dir” I get “An error occurred during directory enumeration”.  I also tried doing “cd directory_name” using a directory name I know should exist but this too fails.

Did you do a chkdsk /r ?
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

whathim

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 04:17:27 AM »
      I didn’t try that but thanks for suggesting it.  At the moment I’m hesitating to do anything that might make matters worse (or perhaps its already as bad as can be) until I know a little more about it.

I’ve been searching around for information on the Recovery Console – there seem to be some very upbeat sounding commands available, such as fixboot and fixmbr (eg. http://pcsplace.com/tutorial/how-to-use-windows-recovery-console-repair-installation-errors-remove-virus/ ).  It would be wonderful if something like these commands could get me on the road to recovery.  But what commands should I try first – what would be the strategy to follow?  That’s what I feel apprehensive of at the moment.

Keith

whathim

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 05:09:20 AM »
        Ok – I reckoned chkdsk with no parameters could do no harm.  Ran it and got:

CHKDSK found one or more errors on the volume.
        488287640 kilobytes total disk space.
        339951540 kilobytes are available.
        4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
        122071910 total allocation units on disk.
        84987885 allocation units available on disk.

Keith

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 05:53:29 AM »
        OK...
        Now when you boot to the Recovery Console type in fixboot and hit Enter...
        Then type in fixmbt and hit Enter...you will get a warning message...ignore it.

Remove any CD's in the machine and re-boot.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

whathim

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 07:25:14 AM »
          Thanks for the tips on fixboot and fixmbr.  Perhaps I shouldn’t keep searching around but I’ve just found this (http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?s=0ff166a94e9597839dfea54303a34dca&p=1030658373&postcount=7 ), which says do fixmbr first and then fixboot.  Sorry, I’m in baby-steps mode at the moment.

Keith

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 07:29:40 AM »
          The order shouldn't make any difference at all...

Bring us good news...

whathim

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 08:29:28 AM »
            Well, this is the darndest of darndest things.  I pressed the power-on button, opened CD tray, slipped CD in, closed it, then looked up at the screen and computer had already got to the Advanced Boot Options page.  I pressed enter on Start Windows as Normal, expecting to go round loop back to the Dell logo where I could press F12 to boot from CD and instead it boots straight into Windows XP sweet as you like.  Desktop back, all icons present, virus checker updates itself and starts a scan – all seems back to normal.

I cannot count the number of times I’ve tried and retried every option on the Advanced Boot Options page over the past four days always without success and then, out of the blue, it boots straight in.  I’ve been in a state of mourning and then suddenly the computer is resurrected.  And I’ve done nothing – you aren’t a practitioner of telekinesis, are you.

Anyway, I will be regarding the computer as rather flaky for some time now.  There is the nagging worry about what was the cause of this problem and if it’s still lurking. Also, I guess it might be advisable to give it a malware health check at some time (eg. http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html ).

Many thanks
            Keith

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 08:42:07 AM »
            Thats good news...
            Our Malware experts are some of the Best around so that's certainly a good idea to jump thru the hoops over there and get a clean bill of health.

One thing to consider afterwards is it's possible that if it's the original unit you may have a flakey PSU...
            Easy to test by borrowing and swapping a known good one in...and not real expensive to replace...

How old is this rig ? ?

whathim

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 08:59:08 AM »
              It’s only Jan/Feb of last year.  I think one thing I will be very careful about is making sure it does actually shut down properly before leaving it for the night, as this seems to be connected with the problem.  And if I see any hanging program on shut down I must find out what it is, instead of just mindlessly terminating it.

Regards
              Keith

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 09:23:40 AM »
              Feb. of last year...and it has XP ? ?
              It may be new to you but it could be as old as 10 years.

whathim

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 09:33:02 AM »
                Yes, at the time Dell were offering an option to have XP preinstalled but with reinstallation CDs for both XP and Windows 7.  I just know Windows 7 will be a pain with some of my legacy software.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 10:08:53 AM »
                Gotcha...

Go ahead with the Malware diagnostics then...tell everyone over there i said Hey...

Best of Luck to ya.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                • Certifications: List
                • Computer: Specs
                • Experience: Expert
                « Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 02:55:20 AM »
                Thanks for the tips on fixboot and fixmbr...
                Only issue might be:  http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/

The Dell-specific Ctrl+F11 process is supposed to completely automate the restoration process, returning the hard disk to the state it was in when Dell shipped the computer. However, overwriting the MBR by using a boot manager, using the commands "fixmbr" or "fdisk /mbr", installing from a Windows installation CD, and assorted other tasks a user might do will inadvertantly break Ctrl+F11, rendering the system unable to boot the DSR partition. Furthermore, changing the partitioning by adding, deleting, or resizing partitions will cause DSRcheck to fail, so even if Ctrl+F11 works, the restore process will abort without attempting to restore the Ghost image.

This section explains how to fix the Ctrl+F11 and DSR process following repartitioning or OS reinstallation.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 05:01:39 AM »
                Link is down...

Not sure why or how fixboot and fixmbr would even touch the Recovery partition.