Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Notebook slows with Internet  (Read 3048 times)

luzpaolabet

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Notebook slows with Internet
    « on: October 26, 2011, 03:51:22 AM »
    First of all sorry for my English I'm not an English native speaker but I will give it try to explain myself. Second Thanks for this forum and Third I hope you can help me...
    Problem: for about a month my laptop started to get slow by watching videos on-line (like in youtube)
    I also use lovefilm (paid movie website to order DVDs an also watch on-line movies) that was not a problem before but now I can't watch anything
    I used to use grooveshark also without any problem but to this point it also takes a lot of time to hear music on-line
    Then I realize to open websites was also slower than what it used to be and now it seems my computer is also slowing.
    I open the Program files an realize I had something I didn't install (I know I should have written the name but did not, sorry for that) and search a bit it was a malware and people in other forums recommended to remove it with antimalware free tool (which is also already uninstall and no I was to silly and don't have the name). But my laptop keeps running slowly and slower. I got to the internet options a erased all the cache content, that didn't help.
    Second Problem is I have no antivirus. I used to have norton but that expired since a good while. I would like to buy the new norton but not really know if that is gonna Help or make it worse, I used to like norton and would like to use again but if you really think it is not good enough I guess I will have to think about it.
    I am not very good at technology, I I live in Germany (Laptop is all in German) and my native language is Spanish and hope you help me or say me I should be calling a professional and pay for it.
    I already thank you.

Here some facts about my laptop:
    Windows - Edition
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Copyright 2009 Microsoft Corporation
    Service Pack 1

System:
    Manufacturer: Hewlett Packard
    Model: Presario CQ56 Notebook PC
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II P320 Dual-Core Processor 2.10GHz.
    RAM: 4,00GB (3,47 GB useable)
    Systemtype: 64 Bit Operating System
    Harddrives: (2): Local Storage (C:) 160 GB free of 215 GB; Recovery (D:) 2,43 GB free of 16,8 GB

I have not any P2P program but before I started using lovefilm watched movies on-line in different sites (but do not used it since 10 months I believe and also not on a regular basis) and my boyfriend used watch the "Bundesliga" on-line on those sites where a lot of poker advertisements is shown >:( but also not on any regular basis I can count with my two hands still.
    Sorry if I write too much...
    In hope we can solve this,
    Luzpaola

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Notebook slows with Internet
    « Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 06:01:14 AM »
    !st thing you should do is get an anti-virus app on there...
    Avast and AVG are both free downloads...choose Avast.

Then update it and run a full scan...this may take some time since it's been awhile so be patient and do NOT interrupt the scan.
    Let it fix all it finds and re-boot.

Next you need to DLoad and install Service Pack 3 for XP...this will also be time consuming so again be patient.
    It may need to re-boot itself a few times...this is normal.

After all this is done run diskclean and defrag from the Syaty/Accessories/Tools menu...
    Again be patient.

Let us know when this is completed how the system is now...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

luzpaolabet

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 06:48:51 AM »
      hi thanxs for your answer
      I will download de antivirus you said
      But I don't have XP so I cannot download the SP 3
      My notebooks has Windows 7 system and there is only the SP 1 which I already have.
      What else can I do thanks

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 06:54:16 AM »
      Sorry...i misread your Post...disregard the Service Pack advice...but follow the other steps thru to conclusion and let us know...

patio.

luzpaolabet

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 09:20:51 AM »
        OK I downloaded the Avast Free Antivirus install it and made a full system scan, after one hour it said: Scan Complete No Threat Found, but the Internet is even slower than before so I will do the next steps and keep informed.
        The only thing I didn't really understand was the defrag or what specifically do I have to do, but I guess it is going to take a while until I come there, Thanks!

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 09:25:52 AM »
        Start/Accessories/Syatem Tools/Defrag ...
        And the same for Disk Cleanup.

In the meantime visit SpeedTest.net...it may be your connection.

At least you have an A/V app now...

luzpaolabet

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 01:34:45 AM »
          Sorry I didn't have much time yesterday to post. So I did Disk cleanup and free 355 MB and then did Defrag and yesterday the laptop was slow on the internet and on opening programs, BUT today is much better and I gave it a try to watch videos and movies and IT WORKS.  And also did the speed test and everything was accordding to what I pay....Thanks a lot for your Help and your Time... should I change the antivirus or that's OK now? and should I do the Disk cleanup and defrag periodically in order to avoid that this problem happens again? Thanks a lot!

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 05:06:30 AM »
          That A/V is fine and will serve you well...
          Run the checks reglarly depending on how often you use the PC...i defrag weekly but others may say thats overkill.

You may also want to add MBAM and SuperantiSpyware to your protection arsenal....both Free.

Good Luck down the road...