Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win 7 Boot issues  (Read 2953 times)

skyeclipper

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Win 7 Boot issues
« on: October 25, 2011, 02:01:46 PM »
Hi

I recently tried to recover my hard drive using a Norton Ghost disk image. Everything appears to go well during the recovery, but the hard drive won't boot, saying that the boot manager was missing. I have tried several different recovery configuration options within NG with the hope that it would fix the problem. No joy. I have also tried using the Microsoft DISKPART to select a partition, set it active, and assign a disk letter. No joy. Next i used Microsoft BOOTSECT with the /NT60 and /MBR switches to try and repair the boot files. Still no joy.

Now I'm trying to install a fresh copy of Win7 and it fails at the screen where you select the drive/partition to install the OS. The error message says there is no system partition for the OS. Nothing has worked. Before I tear out my last few hairs, is there someone who has run into this before and can provide some guidance?

My PC configuration:
MB - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
CPU - Intel i7 930
RAM - 6GB
VID - ATI 5770
HD - Western Digital 1TB black

Thanks for the help :)

skyeclipper

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Win 7 Boot issues
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 04:33:26 PM »
Which version of Norton Ghost? -NG
Had you done a proof of performance test on NG?
Suppose you did not. I will assume you never verified NG with Windows 7ona a 1 TB drive. Then maybe NG is at fault. Maybe not. (I believe it is at fault, but I don't know which version you have.)

You might find one of your older smeller hard drives and use it to install Windows 7 64 bit. I

f that works, the proves your system is apparently OK. The problem must be Norton or the 1TB drive. Prove it.

Next try making a 'clone' using the Norton Ghost and a older smaller Hard Drive. If that works, then It must be NG does not do huge drives. If it does not work at all, then it could be NG can not even do Windows 7 any way.

Visit www.acronis.com and note they have a Windows 7 Clone utility Which implies that making a clone of Windows 7 is not always possible with older clone software.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 06:04:21 PM »
Was the original image of Ghost from a dual-boot setup ? ?
If not ignore that scenario...
Was it an OEM Ghost image from another PC.? ? If so that would explain why it was unsuccsessful...

At any rate since you are moving on to a clean Win7 install...boot to the Win7 DVD...Delete and re-create the C" partition...because it's looking at something it doesn't recognise...
Format the newly created partition NTFS and continue with the Win7 setup and you should be good to go...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

James Hawrd

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 06:32:47 AM »
One of the most frustrating to happen on your computer is Windows Boot problems. These problems can range from receiving an error message that won't go away (usually a.dll or.exe related error) to problems that stop your computer from complete booting up at all. If you're already at the point where you're having consistent problems when you boot your computer then you have a serious issue that needs to be addressed immediately. Don't waste any time. Follow
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 06:36:12 AM by patio »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 06:38:30 AM »
One of the most frustrating to happen on your computer is Windows Boot problems. These problems can range from receiving an error message that won't go away (usually a.dll or.exe related error) to problems that stop your computer from complete booting up at all. If you're already at the point where you're having consistent problems when you boot your computer then you have a serious issue that needs to be addressed immediately. Don't waste any time. Follow

You've been warned about spamming links to that site 3 times now...
Next infraction will result in a Ban.

How is everything Bill ? ?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 10:05:12 AM »
How is everything Bill ? ?

Do you think Bill will ever work out how we know it's him?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 08:03:36 PM »
No...

But that's not why we do it...