Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to install  (Read 4274 times)

mrzolt

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Unable to install
    « on: October 26, 2011, 11:39:47 PM »
    Hopefully I got this in the right forum since it involves both Windows and Ubuntu.

Ok, so I'm having a few issues with my netbook. So, I have been using ubuntu on my netbook for a few weeks now (its a Dell 10 mini) and the resolution has always been a bit off. I just realized it wasn't recognizing my video card, something common with these netbooks apparently. Yesterday I tried another to solution to this problem which failed. The computer will load the operating system but won't actually get to the login in screen. I have decided to go back to Windows 7, since i'm tired of this video card issue, but now I am having another issue. Windows 7 wouldn't install because the hard drive wasn't correctly formatted. Unable to find a way to fix this without reinstalling ubuntu I am trying to reinstall ubuntu. That's when I ran into my current problem. I am doing all of this from a flashdrive, since its the only way with a netbook. For some reason my computer is now getting an error every time I try to install ubuntu. It says "Starting CUPS printing spooler/server" then says "init: lightdm main process (2934) terminated with status 1" and doesn't go any further.

So if anyone can help get to my final goal of installing windows 7 back onto the computer, through installing ubuntu or not, would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Unable to install
    « Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 01:04:28 AM »
    Almost all netbooks have a restore partition. This will restore the computer to factory settings.

Were you dual booting Ubuntu and Windows, or did you completely erase windows and use the whole drive for Ubuntu?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 03:05:40 AM »
    Let's hope he installed Linux on a separate partition and did not destroy the system restore partition.

Linux Mint has many of the same features of Ubuntu, but it can be a better experience. It can be installed inside of Windows so that it takes up about 22 GB fodder space and does not modify the partition table. For most users this is a good alternative to messing up the partitions and loosing Windows 7.

mrzolt

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 11:06:38 PM »
      I installed ubuntu over windows but I'm not sure if it deleted the recovery drive. I have 2 partitions on my hard drive though, i'm not sure how to restore it though. I can get windows to run from the flashdrive, but not install.

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 10:09:43 PM »
      You usually start the recovery by pressing a certain key during boot up. You should check the Dell website for instructions for your specific model.

As for the problem with installing Ubuntu...
      Have you tried putting a fresh iso on the flash drive?
      At what point during the installation do you get the error message?
      Will the computer not start an OS at all?
      Can you get to the GRUB menu?
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/