Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Best internet provider for 2 people?  (Read 7663 times)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Best internet provider for 2 people?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 09:07:41 PM »
So an Ethernet connection will show 100 m bps even when the Internet speed is only 1.5 m bps.  Use a speed test from a nearby server over the Internet.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 01:05:25 PM »
    soybean, as requested here is the result of my ping speed test on Sat Oct. 29th at 2 PM with my DSL provider Distributel.
    truenorth

[regaining space - attachment deleted by admin]

Salmon Trout

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 02:04:02 PM »
    soybean, as requested here is the result of my ping speed test on Sat Oct. 29th at 2 PM with my DSL provider Distributel.
    truenorth

If this is your service:

]Distributel] DSL Internet 5 [...]  Download speed up to 5 Mbps, upload speed up to 800 Kbps

Take note of that "up to" before the speed figures; with a quarter mile of copper forming the last leg, I guess those results you posted aren't too bad if you are in a rural location.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 03:03:58 PM »
      ST, Most certainly rural. Up until relatively recently our most immediate neighbours sported alternating black and white markings and when they uttered anything it was Mooo. Now they have gone and been replaced with corn stalks and/or soybeans. It seems like only yesterday (but actually about 3-4 years) since we went from a 56k modem to DSL. Having endured dial up since about 1995 until then we find our current speeds blazing. I am led to believe that there are other parts of the world that have much faster speeds though--Asian area i believe. truenorth

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 09:06:26 AM »
      This is simply my opinion.
      DSL is incredibly inferior to cable in Canada.
      Evil is an exact science.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 10:04:52 AM »
        Quantos, Could be but last time i looked "cable" was NOT available in our area (that rural thing). Even if it were though if i am not mistaken in order to purchase cable internet you must already have a cable connection for other services. Starts to get to be appreciably more expensive if that is so. Never really investigated Cable costs over DSL (just for the internet access-not available so why bother) but i believe it is considerably more costly where the 2 services compete. truenorth

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 10:19:54 AM »
        Here is a FCC news item. This issue involved might also have impact to other countries. There is a political problem with VOIP and rural Internet.

...from wired.com today.
        Internet Phone Calls Caught in Crossfire As FCC Adopts rural ..

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 10:30:44 AM »
        truenorth
        Your download speed is a little over half my download speed and your upload speed is the same as mine.  Do you know what the company actually states the speed to be for your service?  If you know that, then you know how your actual speed compares to the officially stated speed.  DSL speed is affected by the distance from the nearest "central office" of the phone company, i.e. your DSL provider.   

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 11:33:25 AM »
          soybean, Earlier in this thread a response by Salmon Trout presented this "]Distributel] DSL Internet 5 [...]  Download speed up to 5 Mbps, upload speed up to 800 Kbps" which i imagine he got from the Distributel site. As he points out the "up to" is really not very definitive to what one may get (only what they won't get). I do appreciate that a more accurate statement from them may not be possible because of the varied factors that affect it. When performing the speed test it indicated that the site they were using as my closest Distributel location was 50 miles (or it may have been 50km--since we use that system now). Thank you for your input. truenorth

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #24 on: October 30, 2011, 12:16:11 PM »
          soybean,Earlier in this thread a response by Salmon Trout presented this "]Distributel] DSL Internet 5 [...]  Download speed up to 5 Mbps, upload speed up to 800 Kbps"
          I see now what he saw.  See http://www.distributel.ca/en/product.aspx?p=DSL_Internet_5&lang=EN&pro=QC

So, yes, they simply state one level of service/speed.  As I said in a previous post, I'm accustomed to seeing a choice of speeds from a DSL provider and, of course, the customer pays accordingly.  I'm currently paying for 3.0 Mbps download/512Kbps upload and my actual speeds are almost exactly as stated by the company, i.e. 3.0 Mbps download/512Kbps upload.  But, I'm in a small city and I'm located I'm located fairly close to the provider's nearest "central office".  This brief article provides some explanation of DSL: http://www.howstuffworks.com/dsl.htm

thehandyman

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 03:05:56 PM »
            just a question for everyone. has anyone ever signed up with teksavvy (or someone you know)?
            http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp
            i mean im looking at all the links and comparing but like this seems to be the best one for montreal. unless there's better, which im always open to. and for some reason, unlimited downloads doesnt sound believable to me (sounds too good to be true) 300GB monthly limit seems good to me. any competitors?

Edit: I'm not sure if I want to go cable or DSL, but leaning more towards DSL.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 08:31:14 AM »
              Given this
              DSL Internet 5

"For a fast and reliable DSL connection without having to sign a contract, this is the service for you.
              High Speed Internet (DSL)

Truly unlimited downloads**"
              Which is a direct lift from the Distributel site as Soybean linked within this thread i am puzzled as to why YOU are saying this ", unlimited downloads doesn't sound believable to me (sounds too good to be true)". Have you even tried to contact them to verify what i have been advising you? I have told you i am and have been using their service since it 1st became available to me. Are you suggesting i am not telling you the truth? Why are you still beating this horse. At least pick up your phone and give them a call. truenorth