Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trouble formatting  (Read 2453 times)

prosportal

Topic Starter

Beginner

Trouble formatting
    « on: October 31, 2011, 12:19:50 PM »
    Working on a Toshiba laptop that came stock with Vista basic. I'm trying to format the thing, but it's at 1% after an hour of formatting. What could be causing this?

Salmon Trout

Re: Trouble formatting
    « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 12:37:12 PM »
    Disk on the fritz, probably. How are you doing the format? Have you checked the hdd data and power cables?

prosportal

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 12:56:02 PM »
      Yeah, I was thinking there was a bad sector on the HDD so I was doing a full format, but it seemed to format okay using quick format so I guess everything is okay.   :-\

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 12:58:27 PM »
      Not necessarily. A full format runs chkdsk /r before formatting. From what you've said, I think you should run chkdsk /r before going any further.

kenf916

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 10:09:29 AM »
        I would agree, a quick format won’t tell you if the HDD has any bad sectors.  I would recommend using a disk verifying utility like Spinrite (www.grc.com).  It runs around $50.00 but it does a great job identify and fixing bad sectors.  The utility takes about a day depending on the size of the hhd to run and repair but once done, you should be able to get the whole disk back.  Then you can run a full format and it should be ready for reuse.

Ken

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:22:35 AM by Fed »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 11:31:29 AM »
        I would agree, a quick format won’t tell you if the HDD has any bad sectors.  I would recommend using a disk verifying utility like Spinrite (www.grc.com).  It runs around $50.00 but it does a great job identify and fixing bad sectors.  The utility takes about a day depending on the size of the hhd to run and repair but once done, you should be able to get the whole disk back.  Then you can run a full format and it should be ready for reuse.

Ken

www.kmbl.us
        Ken. I respectfully disagree with you. At one time SpinRite was a great too. Now for under $100 you can make a better investment buying a another HDD to verify the problem is in the drive and not the motherboard or anything other that the HDD. A good refurbished HDD will do.
        a aberration in drive geometry.  Tine preferred method of hardware diagnostic is by substitution. Not paid software diagnostics.The free stuff from the drive makers are good enough.