Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NO SERIAL PORT  (Read 2335 times)

MIKE R

NO SERIAL PORT
« on: September 06, 2005, 08:16:31 PM »
HI MY WIFE BOUGHT A NEW H P COMPUTER, MY PROBLEM IS I USED A 9 PIN NULL MODEM CABLE FOR TRANSFERING INFORMATION.. THE PROGRAM I HAVE ASKS FOR A SERIAL PORT, BUT THERE IS NONE, I TRIED TO FIND A CARD AT THE STORE WITH A SERIAL CONNECTION BUT NO LUCK,THIS COMPUTER JUST HAS USB CONNECTIONS ???ANY HELP PLEASE

ojas25

Apprentice

• My Computer World
    Re: NO SERIAL PORT
    « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 12:18:24 AM »
    HI MY WIFE BOUGHT A NEW H P COMPUTER, MY PROBLEM IS I USED A 9 PIN NULL MODEM CABLE FOR TRANSFERING INFORMATION.. THE PROGRAM I HAVE ASKS FOR A SERIAL PORT, BUT THERE IS NONE, I TRIED TO FIND A CARD AT THE STORE WITH A SERIAL CONNECTION BUT NO LUCK,THIS COMPUTER JUST HAS USB CONNECTIONS ???ANY HELP PLEASE

Not sure what you mean by transfering information, is it for connecting a modem, check your MoBo to see if there is a comport connection if so  you can buy the serial port fitting and it is eassy to fit. Or you may be to connect the modem with a USB cable. By the way the serial port can be got from any computer that's not too old.
    Computers are my hobby and my income love working with computers

Raptor

Re: NO SERIAL PORT
    « Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 05:35:44 AM »
    If the mainboard is capable of a serial connection, you can buy a serial port bracket or obtain one second handed.

Refer to the mainboard manual to see if it has the required connections.