Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ATI update problem  (Read 3746 times)

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    ATI update problem
    « on: November 04, 2011, 08:28:19 PM »
    I installed this update thinking it would help my graphics minor problem and it does cause Firefox to work faster and in some instances better but there several agrivations with it.
    Occational freezes of screen
    page splitting slightly when moving it across monitor screen
    IE8 loading much slower than before
    Windows did not like my installing it
    My graphics card is Radeon X300
    Prior to my reinstalling OS, Windows XP SP3, last fall the Graphics did not show on Add/Remove or Task Manager at all. I have wondered about this. What graphics could it have been?
    There were 2 others on the CD but the ATI was only one that Would install fully.  In checking the invoice it is described as: Module, Card, Graphics, 128, X300 Capacitor, Media Center. I don't know if this will help to determine. What will happen if I totally uninstall the ATI.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: ATI update problem
    « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 01:55:28 AM »
    What you have here is a Dell 4700 computer with an integrated video chip added a ATI Radeon X300 card. Is this related to your thread or to any activities aside from gaming. The power supply requirement needed or necessary for any upgrades or any thermal events could be your problem. Compare this for your onboard video to the Radeon card and see what comes up. RAM module could also contribute to the freezing problem.
    « Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 02:10:51 AM by jason2074 »

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 08:22:11 AM »
      What you have here is a Dell 4700 computer with an integrated video chip added a ATI Radeon X300 card. Is this related to your thread or to any activities aside from gaming. The power supply requirement needed or necessary for any upgrades or any thermal events could be your problem. Compare this for your onboard video to the Radeon card and see what comes up. RAM module could also contribute to the freezing problem.

Yes the window is wavy and choppy when draging across Monitor screen, not restricted to gaming at all.
      I installed this update thinking it would help my graphics minor problem and it does cause Firefox to work faster and in some instances better but there several agrivations with it.
      My graphics card is Radeon X300
      Prior to my reinstalling OS, Windows XP SP3, last fall the Graphics did not show on Add/Remove or Task Manager at all. I have wondered about this. What graphics could it have been?
      There were 2 others on the CD but the ATI was only one that Would install fully.  In checking the invoice it is described as: Module, Card, Graphics, 128, X300 Capacitor, Media Center. I don't know if this will help to determine. What will happen if I totally uninstall the ATI.

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 04:18:29 PM »

I uninstalled and reinstalled the ATI software and did not improve performance so I uninstalled it completely but kept the codecs Now where do I go from here? I thought the Radeon X300 was the onboard graphics.  Will my machine be harmed if I just uninstall all the ATI items? When I reinstalled the OS last year I thought the ATI was part of it but it was not. I had really get it back to it's factory condition. Now how do I do that?

JJ 3000

Egghead
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 04:25:31 PM »
        Download speccy

http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard

After the file finishes downloading, double click on it to start the installation. Follow the prompts until the installation is complete.

Once you've finished installing, start the program. At the top of the page go to File > Publish Snapshot. You will be asked if you wish to proceed. Click Yes, then Copy to clipboard. Now right click on any empty space in your reply box and click Paste.
        Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.
        http://www.petfinder.com/

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 05:08:20 PM »
          Hi JJ. Prior to checking back here I went to Hardware and Radeon X300 Properties and did a driver rollback which installed a Microsoft driver. For now that is working just fine. I did check Add/Remove and found that there is still a file called ATI software uninstall utility that I uninstalled but kept the codecs. Is that why the program is still listed there?  All I have seemed to find on older machines is that it is best to update the drivers but I have had more problems than I am comfortable with. I will add the info you recommended, but at a later date. I
          need a few days rest from all this for now.
          Thank you so much and have a wonderful weekend. :)

Failed to add that there are 2x ati2evxx.exe processes running in Task Manager. Are these necessary?

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            « Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 06:15:08 PM »
            http://speccy.piriform.com/results/hh2DZ2S37ubY15jSCxo74Tm

I will check back later to see if you have commented. Thank you so much.
            BTW the Radeon card is X300. When I did first  update last year from Driver Max, this is what I got, a series. I think this is the problem when ADM or AMD downloaded the most recent driver./software last week.
            « Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 06:50:08 PM by pattybrew »

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 08:42:29 PM »
            Never ever use DriverMax or any other driver finder app///they are crud.
            If you cannot locate a proper driver in future check here 1st.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

JJ 3000

Egghead
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 09:11:22 PM »
            Go here

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_xp.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.13&lang=English

Scroll down to the bottom of the page. I would go with Option 1 - Full Software Suite, but you can choose either one. Download it and Save the file.

Go to add/remove programs and uninstall the ati driver you are using now. You will be prompted to restart.

Once you've restarted you should see a message saying found new hardware. Close that found new hardware message or ignore it.

Now find the new driver that you've downloaded, and double click it to start the installation. You will have to restart the computer when you're finished.

That should have you cleared up . If you have any problems, let us know.
            Save a Life!
            Adopt a homeless pet.
            http://www.petfinder.com/

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 10:24:19 PM »
            Nice legwork there JJ...

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
              « Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 07:05:47 AM »
              Thank you JJ. This is where I found the update but I think I did not fully remove the old prior to installing the new update. This time I removed all the software, driver and I had Parental Control which I do not know if it did anything or not. I downloaded the option 1 but think I will try the onboard for a while just to see if I am satisfied with it before installing the ATI. Thank you so much. I hope this will be satisfactory with me. By removing the DriverMax, TweakUIPowerpack2011 and a couple of other software I have brought my free harddrive space from 31%  to 34%, reduced the processes running and CPU is way down.
              Now is it necessary to have Windows media player, real player and Quick Time? Are there video that use only specific players or converted to whatever player is on machine?
              I like this house cleaning :)

:o ???Hmm I was not expecting what happened when I tried to print an article. I highlited what I wanted to print and went thru process that I have every day, chose selected and size etc then when preview showed it was the whole subject, 2 pages of it. Not just what I selected. Is this the absence of the ATI driver causing this?
              « Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 07:30:34 AM by pattybrew »

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                « Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 07:43:22 AM »
                When ckg hardware devices I found that the Primary Display Adapter is gone which is the one I removed because instead of Radeon X300 Primary it read Radeon X300, X600, X1050 Primary, I may have not gotten all the # correctly but it should read Radeon X300 Primary , Which is what I had hoped the new hardware detected would be.  So, in ckg further I found 2 System Boards, one located in Intel Interface Controller and the other on Microsoft ADPI-Compliant System. I don't recall seeing this before As I am looking at them side by side I see that they are in different locations. So this is what should be, am I correct?

As I need to print this right away I suppose I should install the ATI. Which saddens me. I love the low CPU usage.  Machine is soooo quiet.