Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: VERY computer illeriterate-have question  (Read 2521 times)

lovescats07

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    VERY computer illeriterate-have question
    « on: November 08, 2011, 08:57:58 AM »
    Sorry to ask what I'm sure is a very stupid question...

A friend gave me an HP computer with Vista operating system. I had dial up service only on my old computer. When I called to have them set up the dial up on the new computer, we couldn't get it to work. It kept giving an error message of 'no dial tone'. Yes, everything was plugged in properly as it had been with the old computer. In fact, if I plugged the computer line into the dual phone jack, all of a sudden my home phone had no dial tone, but with the computer line unplugged there was dial tone on the phone.
    They ended up telling me that it was probably a bad modem that needed replaced. Well, I was going to change providers and bundle high speed internet with my phone. Do I still need to replace the modem if I will no longer have dial up?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: VERY computer illeriterate-have question
    « Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:19:25 AM »
    Welcome!
    Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
    The forum will help everyone with all computer questions.

No, you do not need a dial-up modem for DSL or cable service.
    Still there are two concerns heres.
    1. A new computer has a time-limited warranty and any defect must be fixed right away. Otherwise, you loose the resale value of your investment.
    2. When traveling with a laptop the Dian-up modem has to be used in some hotels that do not have anything else.

But if the laptop is out of warranty, there is little point in fixing the modem

lovescats07

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:39:40 AM »
      Thanks! This isn't a desktop, so I won't be travelling and using it. I'm not worried about any warranty either. I just needed to know if I had to replace the modem before they come this week to hook up my high-speed internet.
      It sounds like no.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 10:01:21 AM »
      Your nae welcome. To the best of my knowledge , the only high-speed service that needs dial up is Satellite Internet. And that will change soon.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 12:15:32 PM »
        Assuming the "new" high speed being referred to is DSL ( as opposed to cable) then your ISP will more than likely provide you with a "modem" particular to their service. You normally don't pay additional for that it is part of their service (but you will be returning it to them if you cease service from them).Depending on the type of modem they provide you may need a router as well and depending on whether you intend to go wireless or not you will need cables and or wireless adapters. Don't be dissuaded from going this route as the speed of your service will be far greater and the pleasure of your internet experience will be greatly enhanced over dial up. You will NEVER want to go back to dial up. You will also need filters to all other telephone connections in the house (many ISP providers provide a certain number of these--make sure to ask them for some). If you need more they are easily obtainable. truenorth
        P.S. All the items i have mentioned are NOT expensive if you shop smartly.