Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toshiba not charging????  (Read 4417 times)

tich

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Toshiba not charging????
    « on: October 20, 2011, 12:35:08 PM »
    Evening  :)
    Toshiba A 300 21H laptop. New power Jack, new RTC battery and New Battery. Plug mains adapter in and appears to be charging. Laptop turns on and can use while mains adapter is connected. Turn of laptop and leave to charge. Disconnect charger, press power button. NOTHING! ???. Plug charger in, press power button and it turns on.  Am I right in assuming that the battery is not charging ??? Any ideas why, apart from maybe its a duff battery??

Best regards to all
    Tich

13fontad

Rookie
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: Toshiba not charging????
      « Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 01:05:54 PM »
      Hello,
      Welcome to Computer Hope! My Name is Denis Fontanini. Ill be glad to help you out.

I had a simmilar problem like this and found out that it was that my battery was just old and needed to be replaced. Is your battery able to hold a charge???

bobsklarservices

Beginner

• Time is of the essence.
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 01:24:42 PM »
        When this happened to my old Inspiron, I took it to a professional computer repair shop, and it was diagnosed to be the motherboard.
        Work to be all you can be. You define your limits!

13fontad

Rookie
          « Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 04:17:17 PM »
          Did you try to install your new battery in your computer and make sure that it recognize that it is a new battery??

Also make sure that the connection is properly installed and that you are not missing a connection

immental1200

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 04:45:01 PM »
          Evening  :)
          Toshiba A 300 21H laptop. New power Jack, new RTC battery and New Battery. Plug mains adapter in and appears to be charging. Laptop turns on and can use while mains adapter is connected. Turn of laptop and leave to charge. Disconnect charger, press power button. NOTHING! ???. Plug charger in, press power button and it turns on.  Am I right in assuming that the battery is not charging ??? Any ideas why, apart from maybe its a duff battery??

Best regards to all
          Tich

Why did you replace the battery, power jack + rtc battery ?

tich

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 11:38:26 PM »
            Thank you for your replies.
            The laptop just died on me me a few weeks ago so I tried the charger on another laptop and it seemed ok. Next step, I thought, was perhaps a dodgy jack so changed that. Still nothing. Did a bit of research on the internet which pointed me to the cmos/rtc battery so changed that. Still a dead laptop. Decided to get a new battery and it worked fine for a few days, now i have this problem of not working unless ac charger is connected. :o

tich

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 11:40:03 PM »
              By the way, I got no response from the laptop that it was a new battery. Should I have????

13fontad

Rookie
                « Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 01:38:09 PM »
                it would have but if it dosent thats ok too.

srry to hear about your laptop but is there a symbol that shows that the battery is charging. If not you can go to Start>Control Panel>Power Supply. make sure that it shows that it is charging. if not you may need to configure it.

Tell me how it goes...

Denis

tich

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 07:18:24 AM »
                  Well here`s an update.

Laptop started and has done so for a week or so. Then it decided it wouldn`t start up unless the charger was plugged in. It was fine for a day or two now it wont start at all again. Plugged the charger in again, no lights to say it was charging but left it on over night. Looked at it this morning and both the battery light and the plug light on the front of the machine has mysteriously come on. Pressed the power button with fingers crossed, nothing!!!
                  Starting to drive me bonkers now. As I have replaced the power jack, rtc battery and battery the only thing left (and I stand to be corrected) I can think of is a faulty power button??? What do you think people? Is it time I introduced it to a very large hammer or am I missing something? Surely if it was a motherboard problem it wouldn`t have started at all, it has started, all be it intermittently.

Thanks 13fontad but I cant do as you suggested regarding configuring the battery because, as I said, the bloomin` thing wont start.

Thanks again for you replies

Martin

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
                    • Programming Blog
                  • Computer: Specs
                  • Experience: Experienced
                  « Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 07:48:34 AM »
                  I can think of is a faulty power button??? What do you think

That doesn't make sense because you said it works every time with the power plugged in. I would take out the battery and make sure that you have a good connection. If so, then you probably either have a defective battery or you purchased the wrong kind.
                  YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

tich

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 12:06:15 PM »
                    It started every time for a while then nothing. The plug and battery (when its in) lights are on when the AC charger is plugged in but it wont turn on.  ??? Nothing. No fan. no other lights, absolutely dead.
                    I have just taken the laptop apart AGAIN, Jack plugs connected ( as I said lights are on to signify that the charger is connected) power button is connected to motherboard. All other connections are also connected firmly. Gonna put it back together now and you can bet your bottom dollar that it will start and boot up. It will do this for a number of times then just die on me again, battery in or not with just the charger plugged in.

Just polished the big hammer. Gonna introduce them soon. >:(

13fontad

Rookie
                      « Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 01:53:31 PM »
                      Dear Tich,

I am sorry that my suggestion didnt work. What you may be experiancing is that your computer may just be a dead and old computer and im sad to say this that it may be time to look into a new one. If you dont have the money to do that then you can look into buying a preused one but one that will work.

Hope this helps

Denis Fontanini

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
                        • Yes
                        • Yes
                        • My first self-built computer
                      • Experience: Familiar
                      « Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 05:29:42 PM »

Plug mains adapter in and appears to be charging. Laptop turns on and can use while mains adapter is connected. Turn of laptop and leave to charge. Disconnect charger, press power button. NOTHING! ???. Plug charger in, press power button and it turns on.  Am I right in assuming that the battery is not charging ??? Any ideas why, apart from maybe its a duff battery??

Although I don't know the circuitry paths for your machine I'm guessing your battery may be charging but the current from the battery to the machine has a short-to-ground or open circuit.
                      Check where the battery contacts mate to the machine contacts (the problem will likey be on the machine contacts since you've already replaced the battery with a new one).
                      - Check for an obstruction by a foreign object
                      - Bent or missing contacts
                      - Dirty contacts (can clean with electrical contact cleaner or a Q-Tip and a sparing amount of isopropyl rubbing alcohol.

Hope this helps.  :)
                      Mike

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
                        • Yes
                        • Yes
                        • My first self-built computer
                      • Experience: Familiar
                      « Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 05:37:05 PM »
                      hello!!!!
                       i think you should take away for repairing.. i have Compaq. so sorry i have no idea about this.

The main purpose of this forum is to help people solve issues concerning computers without having to take thier computer "away" to a computer repair facility, which cost $, which some of us don't have much to spend on computer repair facilities.
                       And most of the veiwers on this forum are wise enough to realize that a computer repair facility is an option.
                       If you have no idea about a solution to the issue posted by the topic starter, then wait until a topic is posted that you do have a solution for, or a suggestion that may helpful concerning the issue.
                       Thanks you for your cooperation concerning this.

Now, tich (topic starter), did you get a chance to check the battery-to-machine contacts yet?
                      « Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 06:22:40 PM by lectrocrew »