Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Hard Drive Purchase.  (Read 2467 times)

Lumpy44

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
External Hard Drive Purchase.
« on: November 10, 2011, 08:47:03 PM »
Hello Computer People,

I am in the market for an external hard drive and was wondering if there are any stats that are important other than size and usb supports?
I am looking for something about 1TB in storage and seen quite a few at the local computer store. Found a few of them on newegg and there are some really mixed reviews. Just wondering if anyone out there has one that works great for them.
Thanks a lot

Lisa_maree

Re: External Hard Drive Purchase.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 09:05:48 PM »
Hi Lumpy,

As with anything computer you get what you pay for. I like the pocket hardrives instead of the full size desktop drives. Quite often we see drives that have had the Laptop powersupply used instead of the 12volt powersupply supplied, which damages the drive and interface. So at least if you have a usb powered drive this isn't a problem  :). USB3.0 is a must , and go for less capacity higher reliability like Western Digital My passport drives have served me well.  Always the best idea is to have several copies of data so say 200 DVD's and two 500 gb harddrives are better than one 1tb drive.

Hope this is of some help

Lisa

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Lumpy44

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 10:52:43 PM »
I like the ones that don't need a power supply as well. I wanted to just get one drive due to cost. USB 3.0 is something I want even though I dotn have a USB 3.0 comp(yet).

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 11:19:33 PM »
Just to add for the portable drive you are choosing, look for the ones with a data and power cable or dual usb cable.

elwilli

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 03:48:23 AM »
    An external hard drive is nothing more than an external casing inside have a regular hard drive. I suggest you buy an external enclosure a good brand and you put the hard disk that you want.

Bear in mind that the outer shell must support USB 3.0 and the two connections (hard disk and case) are SATA.

Lumpy44

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 11:54:10 AM »
    Thanks for the input guys!!!

Seen a story on Gizmodo about how hard drives prices are increasing due to flooding of some plants overseas.

Anyone know anything about this?

Prices do seem to have been going up since I looked about a month ago