Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Harddisk/partition problem, please help  (Read 2370 times)

nutz3390

Harddisk/partition problem, please help
« on: November 14, 2011, 09:44:45 AM »
Hello everybody, to quickly sum up the problem:

I had two harddisk, A and B. A had 2 partitions, "OS" (win 7), and "Programs", and B had 1 partition "Files".

Harddisk A was the "primary" and "system" harddisk, while B was just a "logical" i guess.
(I still haven't really figured out what it means.)

One day harddisk A crashed and went broken, so i couldn't boot the OS anymore.
 I put harddisk B into another computer, and installed an OS on it on a new partition, so that B now had 2 partitions.
 A was out of the picture - the programs on it were easy to reinstall anyway.

I put harddisk B back into my computer, and booted it from the newly OS partition.
Here i found that my old files wasn't accessible, in "Disk management" the partition with my files was now labelled "RAW". I didn't know what it meant, so i just clicked "create new partition" but chose "do not format", and hoped that it would create something showing my files.
All it did was create a new inaccessible partition showing up in my "Computer" folder, containing 0 byte/0 byte. This partition has no "Filesystem" (ntfs, fat) in disk management, but its status is "In order"

I have tried some different partition recovering softwares.
Chkdsk says "unable to determine filesystem".
'Testdisk' was too advanced for me to use. It found some partititions, and i thought it was the "package of partitions" i needed to restore, but when i restored them, it deleted my newly installed OS, and didn't recover my partition "Files", so now i am back on my second computer.

Some of the recovery software CAN detect my files and wants to copy them to "a specified folder", but i have 400 GB files, and no more harddisks to back it up on.
There must be a way to restore my previous partition without needing to transfer the 400 GB data to another harddisk.

My own idea is to delete this newly made partition "logical drive", since it has no filesystem and contains no data, but the problem is that it says "All data on this diskunit will be deleted", and i do not know if that includes my "hidden" data.

Any ideas?  anything would be helpful.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Harddisk/partition problem, please help
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 01:37:41 PM »
Welcome!
Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
The forum will help everyone with all computer questions.

Personally, I think you need to get help from a friend or professional that can do it for you.  I have lost a lot of data trying to adjust partitions. Since then I have learned to have backups of all important materials.

However, here is a quick search that includes information found on this web site and elsewhere. This is not an endorsement of any company.

recovery software