Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows automatically restart  (Read 3404 times)

RP boy

Windows automatically restart
« on: September 08, 2005, 03:14:41 AM »
What is the problem of my computer it is restart automatically without warning. I have no additional device installed. Please help. Thanks.

vibhor_agarwalin

Adviser

Re: Windows automatically restart
    « Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 05:02:13 AM »
    First the most obvious option:

Scan it for viruses and spywares
    Vibhor Kumar Agarwal

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 11:24:20 AM »
    What is the problem of my computer it is restart automatically without warning. I have no additional device installed. Please help. Thanks.

More information needed.

RP Boy

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 11:06:14 PM »
    Before my OS use is Windows XP I encountered that problem, it is restart automatically, then I doubt that the problem is Windows XP but when I formated the computer and change my OS to Windows ME is the same problem, it will restart again and again after 5 or 10 minutes it is. I did not installed additional hardware or software. The hardware installed is only the modem and printer. The processor is Pentium 4 1.8 ghz, Elite Group motherboard, built-in video and audio. Please help. Thanks

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 11:43:01 PM »
      RP boy...... It sounds like a heat related problem ........when its cool its fine but when it heats up there is some expansion and something is breaking down or breaking connection.
      Check for dust buildup on the heatsink cooling fan .
      If you are able .....test the PSU in another pc to be sure its ok .
      Reseat all the cards and the Ram.
      Monitor the temperature of the CPU .  Try this app .....
      PC Wizard 2005 ......... http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3846.html

let us know

dl65  ::)
      « Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 11:51:11 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Fed

• Sage
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 01:20:26 AM »
        You may wish to turn off Automatic Reboot on System Failure. (If ME has it)

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 05:57:57 AM »
        What type of Power Supply Unit do you have and what kind of hardware?

Does the same behaviour occur outside of Windows?

RP boy...... It sounds like a heat related problem

Heat problems usually cause the computer to shut down, not restart.

Mac

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 07:17:02 AM »
        Sounds like the RAM may need to be re-seated or the fans are not cooling the computer properly. A lot can depend on where you are living, especially in tropical areas.

How much RAM is fitted, and what is the Make and Model of the PC you are using?

RP Boy

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 10:03:20 PM »
        The Power Supply use is ATX - 300 P - P4, Motherboard is ECS Elitegroup, RAM is DDRAM 128, Processor is Intel Pentium 4 1.8 ghz. How to turn off Automatic Reboot on System Failure in Windows ME. Thanks

Fed

• Sage
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 10:31:34 PM »
          I'm not sure if ME has it, there is no one left in the world who uses ME. LOL!
          Try
          Right click>My computer>Properties>Advanced>Start up & Recovery

Mac

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 03:27:33 AM »
          Not so. If this system fails I could restore my ME installation from a drive image and be sure that it will work very well indeed, being both fast and responsive, even if it does not have the power of XP and doesn't like big drive volumes too much. It works better in a fairly small partition. (4096-8192MB) (See: www.ntfs.com)

It did take four years to get it working well, but that it a different story.

As you can imagine, with using a drive image, there is no system restore and it is pretty much 'tweaked' to *censored*.

Mac

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2005, 04:51:15 AM »
          The Power Supply use is ATX - 300 P - P4, Motherboard is ECS Elitegroup, RAM is DDRAM 128, Processor is Intel Pentium 4 1.8 ghz. How to turn off Automatic Reboot on System Failure in Windows ME. Thanks

Depending on what you can afford, I found that simply by adding more RAM, 512MB or more, I could easily install XP Professional, even though I had to get a new modem, as the old one was incompatible.

My first reaction to your problem would be to re-seat the existing RAM module and see if there is anything loose inside the computer.

TAKE PROPER ANTI-STATIC PRECAUTIONS!

ME will take 512 MB of RAM without adding any vcache settings to system.ini as I remember.

If you install Everest (see link below and subsequent links) you can not only check the temperatures which your computer is running but you can also find out more about your computer's mainboard and see just how much RAM it can take. Up to 1024 MB of RAM is suitable for most uses with XP when multitasking. 512 MB is usually plenty for home use.

If you can post the details and model number of the ECS Elitegroup mainboard it would help.

As a general rule built in Video is not such a good idea if the RAM use is - inclusive - meaning that the Video RAM is shared with the system RAM.

A separate Video card with its own RAM is a better proposition, especially where performance is concerned.

If you right-click My Computer how much RAM does it say in the Properties box? (Just in case it doesn't say 128 MB)
          « Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 04:53:42 AM by Mac »

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2005, 04:55:38 AM »
          You can eliminate hardware problems by reformatting and reinstalling Windows ME. Although I would do exactly as Mac suggests and install Windows XP, which is much more stable.

If the problem still occurs, then you know you have to look into finding the piece of hardware that causes it.