Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HDD Partition to Fat32 - Erases Everything or only Partition Data?  (Read 2822 times)

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Sorry to post so frequently on so many issues, but I sadly have the occasion to do a lot of computer-related maintenance with my systems as of late...

Anyway, what I plan to do is this: I have an external HDD (a desktop HDD in an enclosure) that I have cleared out enough room for about a 50 gig partition. I want to give this a partition in order that I might copy all my files from my PS3 onto the Fat32 partition I will create (it is required to be Fat32). I have two concerns, though:

1. Will making a new partition in a new file system cause any loss of data on the areas not so partitioned? That is, obviously the partition area itself will be reformatted, but will the -rest- of the disk be reformatted, too? Or am I safe to go ahead?

2. Can I partition an external HDD?

I run Vista on the computer which the HDD will be connected to.

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: HDD Partition to Fat32 - Erases Everything or only Partition Data?
    « Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 04:01:39 AM »
    Always back up your data before doing any partition editing/formatting.

1. Will making a new partition in a new file system cause any loss of data on the areas not so partitioned? That is, obviously the partition area itself will be reformatted, but will the -rest- of the disk be reformatted, too? Or am I safe to go ahead?

You can create a new partition in the unpartitioned space and the other partitions will not be effected by it. The data on the other partitions will be the same. You can format just the one partition leaving the others unaffected.

2. Can I partition an external HDD?

Yes.

Usually external hard drives are just one big partition. Does yours have unpartitioned space or do you plan on shrinking the existing volume in order to make room for your new partition?

Also, what software are you planning on using to perform these operations? Windows Disk Management?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Re: HDD Partition to Fat32 - Erases Everything or only Partition Data?
      « Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 02:06:01 AM »
      Always back up your data before doing any partition editing/formatting.

You can create a new partition in the unpartitioned space and the other partitions will not be effected by it. The data on the other partitions will be the same. You can format just the one partition leaving the others unaffected.

Thanks, I wanted to be sure of this.

Usually external hard drives are just one big partition. Does yours have unpartitioned space or do you plan on shrinking the existing volume in order to make room for your new partition?

Also, what software are you planning on using to perform these operations? Windows Disk Management?

There are two partitions on the external HD (it used to be a desktop HDD): The main partition and the recovery partition for it's XP installation prior to being turned into an enclosed HD.

I have space I cleared in order to make a partition in that space.

Yes, WIndows Disk Management due to Norton's Partition Magic being discontinued.