Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: new mobo for hp pavillion slimline s3400t  (Read 8904 times)

mazza

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: new mobo for hp pavillion slimline s3400t
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 10:37:42 PM »
ok so today took my harddrive into a computer store for another diagnostic. he hooked my hd up to a test computer, i was the slave his was the master, i was able to pull up my hd and open it look at the folder. so he shuts the computer off and puts mine up on master...the hd drive loads up files and then takes us to system restore..i tell him to do it he tells me i will lose all files i said i don't care. he couldn't get the mouse to work and tabbed over to cancel. tells me to get an os and redo the hd

so here's my problem i either never had the number for my copy of os or lost it, can i call hp to get my number ?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 12:04:40 AM »
Ask the Computer shop first if they could install a Linux OS(free) on that HD. I was curious how they were able to access the HD as master on a different PC. Or its just I cannot fully understand your post? Do you see any stickers on the desktop casing for any OS Product key?

mazza

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 02:04:42 PM »
Ask the Computer shop first if they could install a Linux OS(free) on that HD. I was curious how they were able to access the HD as master on a different PC. Or its just I cannot fully understand your post? Do you see any stickers on the desktop casing for any OS Product key?

he generally didn't seem interested unless i had the money to pay him which i didn't. i can try to email him and ask what he did specifically to access my hd the second time but i believe that he unhooked his hd and left mine plugged in then turned the computer on, he asked me if i had seen the bar and the words loading files the first time to which i replied no and the next screen was system restore. then he asked if i had put in new hardware which i replied no only thing i did was replace the battery. he asks if maybe i got the wrong battery to which i replied i don't think as i had taken the battery with me when i went to staples and got the same number and volt size.

can i download linuix os iso somewhere ?

as for the case i see bid=numbers
futurebyte=numbers+letters

mazza

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 02:09:28 PM »
also he told me it couldn't be the mobo since i am able to access bios

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 08:25:42 PM »
also he told me it couldn't be the mobo since i am able to access bios

Which is innaccurate at best...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mazza

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 05:33:59 PM »
the second time that you booted the computer was my hard drive the master ? just curious how we got to the system restore part

Yes, it’s got to be a master.

mazza

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 03:21:57 PM »
finally fixed the desktop today..

my usb in the front was broken and the pins were smashed down which was discovered to lead to hang up at splash screen. As far as the hard drive, I am chalking that up to user error since i have been unable to repeat the issue